12l Batch Of Hoegaarden Clone

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aussiechucka

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
I am looking at putting this brew down in the next few weeks. I just have a few questions as to wether it will work or not. I am only doing a lo alcohol brew and 12 Litre batch as I have a 10 Litre cube from bunnings I would like to try the NC.
The recipe I have put in Beersmith and seems to work OK.

I call it LO HO GARDEN

1.50 kg Morgans Wheat (8.0 SRM)

0.15 kg Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM)

0.15 kg Wheat, Torrified (1.7 SRM)

14.00 gm Fuggles [5.70 %] (60 min)

5.00 gm Fuggles [5.70 %] (30 min)

10.00 gm Saaz [4.00 %] (10 min)

0.25 tsp Coriander Seed (Boil 10.0 min)

0.50 tsp Coriander Seed (Boil 30.0 min)

2.00 gm cumin (Boil 10.0 min)

2.00 gm cumin (Boil 30.0 min)

4.00 gm Orange Peel, (Boil 30.0 min)

10.00 gm Orange Peel, (Boil 10.0 min)

1 Pkgs Munich (Danstar #DYMUNICH11GM)

I will be steeping the grains 30 min in 3L and sparge with 3L,mainly for the flavour factor and the rolled oats to give the beer some body. Beersmith has caculated this out at
Est Original Gravity: 1.039 SG

Est Final Gravity: 1.011 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 3.55 %
Bitterness: 18.4 IBU
Est Color: 6.5 SRM
I will be fermenting at 17 degrees when I get my fridge set up for controlled brewing as also looking at doing lagers.
Any suggestions?

Cheers
Chucka

Drop the fuggles and just use your saaz to get your 18.4. Not sure of the cumin either. Havent heard of anyone using that alongside coriander and orange peel. Where did you get the idea to do coriander and orange peel at both 30 and 10? Again ive only ever seen these being dumped in at around the 10-15 mark.

+1 on dropping the cumin. It'll make your beer taste like samosas.

If you're mad on spices perhaps lean more towards cloves, allspice and cinnamon.

yet to put my recipe down but the most highly rated hoegarden clone i found calls for cumin. so i dont know that i would be dropping it, i would however halve it. the recipie(hoefully doing it soon) i have calls for 2g of cuman max and thats for a 23lt

fuggles is also what my recipe calls for( as well as ekg) again there are some differences, mine calls for 14g fuggles @5 and the ekg@15

also from what ive read do not use normal orrange rind, it must be bittering(seville) oranges, if you cannot get these or wait till G&G posts some out to u, mandarin rind is a better sub.

and i dont know much about the danster strain(except that danster nottingham is an ANIMAL and can srip alot of flavour from your hops), but i would contemplate using a belgian wit liquid yeast. cant remember the names of these but there are few out there

all in all your recipe looks good to me, but maybe a little too much cumin, just my 2cents anyways, good luck with it

Edit: when i say 'my recipe" it is not.... i should say "the recipe i have found".....
Edit again: reading further on the recipe changes to 10mins for fuggles, sorry, there is a total of about 30 pages for this recipe

little bit more searching and ive found 2 12l clones
12L
1.7kg Extra Light liquid Malt
500g torrefied wheat
7g golding (60mins)
7g golding (15mins)
10 Fuggles (5mins)
15g corriander (cracked)
5-10g dried bitter orange peel.
3944 wit yeast.

16.3IBUs
4.3 SRMs (a little high)

1.5kg Morgans Extra Pale Liquid Malt
100g Light Dry Malt Extract
170g LDME in Yeast Starter
50g Torrified Wheat (not puffed wheat - this is the real stuff AND cheaper)
7g Goldings @ 30 mins
7g Goldings @ 10 mins
19g Fuggles @ 5 mins
16g Coriander - cracked
9g Dried Bitter Orange Peel
1g Cumin - crushed
WLP 500 Yeast

both guys seemed very please with their brews, see how you go anyways mate and let me know how it goes as i will be putting mine down soon i hope

Those all sound good. Yeah I think I might be a bit over the top with the cumin. I will scale it back to 1g for this brew. I like the taste of cumin so I am not too worried. Maybe I am not going to end up making a hoeggaren but an offshoot. Probably a Samosa Wit. :lol: :lol:
Anyway will see how it turns out. I think I would be better to add more wheat but I only bought 150g so will stick with that. Or use weetbix as posted in another thread.
Cheers
Chucka

Those all sound good. Yeah I think I might be a bit over the top with the cumin. I will scale it back to 1g for this brew. I like the taste of cumin so I am not too worried. Maybe I am not going to end up making a hoeggaren but an offshoot. Probably a Samosa Wit. :lol: :lol:
Anyway will see how it turns out. I think I would be better to add more wheat but I only bought 150g so will stick with that. Or use weetbix as posted in another thread.
Cheers
Chucka

The last one I did had a couple of kaffir lime leaves in it, which gave it a little funky spice.

I've done a few of these now, and brewed one just last night. The 22ish Litre recipe was:
- Black Rock Whispering Wheat Can
- Thomas Coopers wheat LME Can
- 250 g steeped wheat malt
- 20G coriander cracked/steeped
- zest of one orange

My hops were:
20G Saaz at 30 mins
20G Saaz at 15 mins
10G Cascade at 5

I used the Saaz previously at 60 mins and it was a little over bitter, so I reduced the boil time this time round.
The cascade I threw in for the heck of it - I like fruity hoppy beers
I upped the coriander seed from last time, but only steeped it rather than boiling the whole time. I don't reckon you could ever put too much coriander in this type of beer. When you crack it you can smell the fruity, funky citrusy flavour that is perfect for the beer. I buy it in a 500g from the Indian grocer for about $3.

My last recipe (Skanky Hoe) came out at 6.4%. It was a little gnarly and you could feel the alcohol hit. That said, after 4 - 6 weeks in the bottle, it was a cracker and rapidly became my favoured beer. My point here is I gave up trying to knock off Hoegarden and just enjoyed the awesome fresh witbier I was producing. Drink it fresh between 4 to 10 weeks after bottling for the best results (IMHO).

The orange peel is hit and miss. My last couple have been with Belgian Sweet Orange Peel, but I am told you can't get it anymore hence the use of fresh orange zest last night. My first hoe was too orangey so I backed it off in the second and it was just right.

Oh, nearly forgot, last two brews have been with Wyeast 3944 belgian wit liquid yeast. Great stuff in my opinion.

Cheers !

Thanks for all the help. At the moment I have just put down my first All grain, A Bohemia Clone, in the fermenter at the moment so will be some time befoe the ferment fridge is ready for another run. I finally got my hands on some bitter orange peel from Ross. So when the fridge is free I will be putting this one down to have it ready for Spring.
Cheers
Aussiechucka

Back