11" false bottom in Aus?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jrrj

Reaction score
I've been wanting to get a false bottom for a while to fit this cooler mash tun: http://aussiehomebrewer.com/topic/75615-techni-ice-drink-dispenser/.

The internal diameter at the bottom above the ledge is 11 inches. I had ordered the 11" domed false bottom from ibrew, but they subsequently told me it was out of stock and discontinued.

I was tempted to get one made by this mob: http://www.norcalbrewingsolutions.com/store/False_Bottom_Custom_Size_11_and_1-16_inch_12_inch.html

But after postage and exchange rate it costs about $190.

So my question is, can anyone recommend an option in Australia to get an 11" and 1/16" false bottom with 2" feet and handles?

I don't have the time, skill or patience to attempt to build one myself.

Keg king have a 30cm one...might just squeeze in?

You could use a bazooka screen instead as well

Thanks for the suggestions. The 30cm one only fits half-way down so not really viable. I am using a biab bag until I get a better solution and that works fine (I don't think the bazooka screen would improve on that). I just want the tidiness of not dealing with the bag.

Jrrj said:
Thanks for the suggestions. The 30cm one only fits half-way down so not really viable. I am using a biab bag until I get a better solution and that works fine (I don't think the bazooka screen would improve on that). I just want the tidiness of not dealing with the bag.
Get a grinder and run it around the external parameter. You can use a flapper paddle to give it a nice clean look.

Grainandgrape have a 10" one if you dont want to modify anything.
I cant see 1" making a big difference - doubt it will cause any channeling problems etc.

Any reason to add feet + handles?
Most should sit on the bottom nicely without any mods

I tried the 10" but it didn't really work because of the ledge (you can see it in the photos I posted in the linked thread above for the cooler) so I returned it. Complicated to explain but it was very difficult to get the fb to sit flat on the bottom of the cooler and get the pickup tube into the recessed outlet.

Ideal solution would be an 11" fb with no hole or pickup tub that sits above the ledge and recessed outlet (hence the feet). Handles required because it would sit flush against the edges and have nothing to grab to pull it out for cleaning.

I'm looking at a 9 in one on Aliexpress. Yes they are out of China and you have to wait, but you might just find the right size, watch out for a cheap price but expensive shipping though.

Jrrj said:
Ideal solution would be an 11" fb with no hole or pickup tub that sits above the ledge and recessed outlet (hence the feet). Handles required because it would sit flush against the edges and have nothing to grab to pull it out for cleaning.
Sounds like a DIY job to me :D

TheBlackAdder said:
Sounds like a DIY job to me :D
I agree. Get an offcut from a fabricator and make it with an angle grinder. Create a template first that fits how you want it and then use it to cut the steel (cut off disc). As I suggested earlier, a flapper paddle will smooth it up really nicely (bunnings).

Idzy

I made my own ss false bottom which worked great but I always ended up with a lot of small particals getting into the boil kettle , so I made a false bottom from copper tube and cut some slots in it . Works a treat no stuck sparges even with a 75 % wheat bill and best of all no more grist going into the boil .

That sounds interesting - did you just cut the slots in a coil of copper tubing or what? Do you have photos?

Make a copper manifold. It is easy to do, and probably end up being cheaper than a SS false bottom.

JP gives a good run down of how to make them in how to brew. You could easily make a square manifold to fit in your round MLT, without suffering any efficiency losses.

JD

Latest posts

Back