10min ipa

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

supertonio

Reaction score
Hi,

I have recently bought 100gms of galaxy pellets with which I plan to make a 10min IPA.

I plan on using the usual grist pale/wheat/bit crystal yet I am still a little bit confused around the hop additions and amounts. I plan to get the IBU's to around the 50 mark or therabouts. I will ferment with 1272.

I use an immersion chiller because in Scotland I am lucky enough to have sufficient cold water to get my wort below 30c.

Do I just add the whole whack in at 10 mins and forgo the 60mins additions etc (as per the name suggest)? How have any of you had the most success with this sort of brew?

Thanks

I did this little while ago and dead set the best beer I have made! Everyone I gave some to loved it and wanted more. I love it so much I am about to keg another and brew another tomorrow!
All you need to do is dump it all in at 10min from the end. I did mine as a partial mash and put 230g of Amarillo in, the other I am about to keg is Amarillo and Centennial. I can hardly wait to have an IPA on tap again!
Good luck with it and happy brewing.

Dae Tripper said:
I did this little while ago and dead set the best beer I have made! Everyone I gave some to loved it and wanted more. I love it so much I am about to keg another and brew another tomorrow!
All you need to do is dump it all in at 10min from the end. I did mine as a partial mash and put 230g of Amarillo in, the other I am about to keg is Amarillo and Centennial. I can hardly wait to have an IPA on tap again!
Good luck with it and happy brewing.
So do you feel that 100gms may not be sufficient....should I get another 100gms?

Also I dry hopping necessary with this technique or do you get the aroma too with this single addition?

Do you have any brewing software? There is some on here for free in the all grain topic. I don't have access to mine at the moment. My recipe came out to 50ish IBU so work you final volume to get the required effect or get another hop like Amarillo and use your Galaxy in something else. Hope that helps.

Oops, forgot about the dry hopping. I think mine could have done with a small dry hop of about 30g just to make it really pop. I will be testing this next brew. I did dry hop the Centrillo brew but I still have to keg that yet.

Yeah got brewmat but am currently at work so not able to use.

Was more just wanting advice on the technique and results of this type of brewing.

Will run through brewmate once I get home and see what turns up.

If 100g is close and you dont want to buy anymore hops, just move the hop add back to 12/15 mins or whatever to get your ibus right

danestead said:
If 100g is close and you dont want to buy anymore hops, just move the hop add back to 12/15 mins or whatever to get your ibus right
Good thing is I can get another 100gms from a mate so thats not really an issue.

I take it with this technique less isn't more so to speak.......

Again will see what brewmate says and take it from there.

Thanks

be careful with galaxy... Great hop that's really popular.. It's quite strong and adding too much can overpower a beer into drinking passionfruit juice rather than beer... If you are going to dry hop, do it 3 days before you bottle/keg, or you'll start to get grassy flavours coming through that most find a bit undesirable.

I've got close to 400grams of galaxy in the freezer ready for another IPA.. might run something like this, but throw some citra in the mix to break it up a bit.

Now that I am home and have kegged and bottled some beer this is what I could make on my BIAB software (23L batch 1.5L kettle loss).
biab hops.png

So I am pretty sure you will be fine with 100g and a small dry hop. Let us know how you go with it all. Happy brewing :chug:

I would second leighaus caution on the galaxy. I love it to bits but by crikey she's a fickle mistress.

Latest posts

Back