1056 Temp Rise For 24 Hours?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bevdawg

Reaction score
Hi guys

So fementing a West Coast Hop Blaster at the moment and had a question re ferment temp.

OG was 1.075, it's been at 19c for 6 days then yesterday it got to 23c without me noticing, prob been there for 24 hours, now going back down to 19/20. It's meant to ferment at 19, so 20 doesnt worry me. It was around 1.040 when the temp jumped up so kinda half way thru ferment, krausen is dropping.

No just wondering what impact this short jump in the temp by 3-4 degree's might do to the flavor of the beer? I just had a sip and cannot notice too much. Would a short rise in temp towards the end of ferment make much of a difference?

After 6 days, and half way through, i doubt it'll make too much difference. Especially not in a big hoppy beer like that IMHO.

I wouldn't worry. First few days of yeast growth is most crucial when trying to control temp (not that consistent controlled temp isn't best practice).

I wouldn't worry. First few days of yeast growth is most crucial when trying to control temp (not that consistent controlled temp isn't best practice).

Agreed - and IMHO both at home and at the big brew house, 1056 is a very temperature tolerant strain. Given the temp range you've specified, I don't think there's anything to worry about here :)

Cheers!

Hendo

OK so managed to keep it around 22 since this post, best I could do as my brew fridge is not set up due to the fact I'm about to move. Anyways, ferment seemed to be stuck around 1.030 so I gave it a quick firm stir up to get the yeast going again, and it did well and dropped to around 1.022 which is where it's at now. I've been tasting and it's tasted fine until now, and seems to have a very warming/alc feel to it, with less hoppyness/sweetness. Just wondering if this is simply due to the acl increasing, or have I lost some flavor/aroma due to the temp rise? I've just kegged it and wacked it in the keg fridge to chill down (not carbed), so thinking it might end up tasting OK once it's chilled and carbed.

So wondering more than anything, if I should be getting these warming alc sensations for a temp that's only been at 23c at it's peak, in the later stages of ferment, albeit it was at 22/23 when I stirred the yeast back into action for around 2.5 days... hmmmm, worried this batch is going to be not so awesome...

Latest posts

Back