100% Saaz Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hopmonkey

Reaction score
Anybody ever tried a 100% saaz, warm fermented, non lagered ale?

If so was it any good and what was the recipe as am thinking of giving it a whirl to use up some hops!

Have done a pale ale with 100% NZ B-saaz. Grain bill was 95% Maris otter, 5% med crystal, og about 1050 and hopped to 40ibu using whole b-saaz. I used 15, 10 and 5 minute additions, and a steep at flameout (no bittering addition). Might not be too practical with euro saaz due to the low %AA

Prob not what you were after, but my fave weizen uses all Saaz, but only about 12 IBU.

Well-recommended for a wheat beer, the old Saaz.

Seth :p

Here's one I made many years ago. I have been meaning to make it again, but time and other untried recipes always get in the way.

8 kg. German Vienna
0.5 kg. English Brown Malt
0.5 kg. British Crystal 55L
0.05 kg. English Chocolate Malt
0.5 kg. Melanoidin Malt
100 g. Saaz (Pellets, 5.00 %AA) boiled 75 min.
50 g. Saaz (Pellets, 5.00 %AA) boiled 20 min.
40 g. Saaz (Pellets, 5.00 %AA) boiled 1 min.
Yeast : White Labs WLP023 Burton Ale

Nice and smooth. Great malt flavour with enough hops to take the edge off the sweetness. Wonderful colour (despite the fact I forgot the Irish Moss, giving it perma-cloud) and aroma to blow your socks off. Definately in my "Brew Again" list.

Cheers,
Pete

:chug:

Just be aware, if planning an all saaz beer this year with fresh hops - The AA of the crop this year is just 2.2 AA, due to the dry summer in Europe, so you will need approx double the hops.

Cheers Ross

Just be aware, if planning an all saaz beer this year with fresh hops - The AA of the crop this year is just 2.2 AA, due to the dry summer in Europe, so you will need approx double the hops.

Cheers Ross

He said with a knowing grin :lol:

banner_cash.jpg

Well-recommended for a wheat beer, the old Saaz.
I'm with Seth on this one.
I currently enjoying a wheat with 100% Kiwi Saaz flowers and after a fair go at it on the weekend it's almost gone. :(

Mines up near the 20 IBU.
Will be brewing this one again.

Luke

The AA of the crop this year is just 2.2 AA
Ross: Are you buying twice the amount?

I recently made a standard pale ale only using Saaz and it came out pretty good. At the same time, I made a Sterling pale ale as well, and I like that one better. What I'd recommend is bittering with Sterling (if you guys can get that) and maybe using Sterling at 20-30 minutes, and then finish with three or four additions of Saaz. That would be awesome!

As for grain bill, try something like 85% Maris Otter, 5% light crystal (~20 EBC), 5% medium crystal (~80 EBC), and 5% aromatic or melanoidin or biscuit. Great stuff!

Got an almost 100% Saaz (toucan) lager in the fermenter at the moment, due to bottle on the weekend.

For 23 litres the sched was as follows:
Wort boiled 30 mins, calcs @ SG 1040.
Time Hop Charge IBU
30 Spr Alpha 12 10.7
20 Saaz 12 3.6
10 Saaz 12 2
5 Saaz 12 1
0 Saaz 12 0
Total 17.3

Saaz AA% = 4.5% (noted on pack)
Smells brilliant. I might have to do a premature SG for a taste :lol:

All part of an ongoing project to try as many types of hops as I can in similar worts to gauge their flavours and allow for post fermentation mixing and experimenting. :)

I recently made a standard pale ale only using Saaz and it came out pretty good. At the same time, I made a Sterling pale ale as well, and I like that one better. What I'd recommend is bittering with Sterling (if you guys can get that) and maybe using Sterling at 20-30 minutes, and then finish with three or four additions of Saaz. That would be awesome!

As for grain bill, try something like 85% Maris Otter, 5% light crystal (~20 EBC), 5% medium crystal (~80 EBC), and 5% aromatic or melanoidin or biscuit. Great stuff!

As fortune would have it, I mashed a Koelsch last night using Sterling for bitterness and Saaz for flavour/aroma.

Used Pilsner malt instead of Ale malt though.

Even so, I anticipate a tasty result. :super:

Fester.

Ive been making an ale with saaz in it for a few months. Nothing flash just a quick kit.

1 can Coopers Pale Ale
500 g malt
250 g dried wheat malt
250 dex

30g saaz pellets 10 min boil
20 g dry hopped in secondary
recultured coopers yeast

Tastes similar to Coopers Mild Ale

I have done a few really nice Saaz ales, using both the Cheq and NZ Hops. Beware the AA difference between them.

I prefered the Cheq Sazz.

My recipie was to about 35 IBUin 22lt using 45gm of 3.3% AA for bittering, 20gms at 20 mins, 25gms at 5mins

I also added about 8% wheat which gave it a nice cloudy feature and just the smallest hint of wheet spicyness.The remaining malt was straight BB pale malt.

Other non homebrew drinkers I gave it to loved it.

I did try one with caramalt, but didnt like the sweetness

Latest posts

Back