100% Munich.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wess , Munich Dunkle/Helle are not a hop driven beers, Dunkles has a slight sweet choc , brown malt profile.Helles is just a balance of sweet malt and little IBU. The Wyeast will make these styles.You will not get a real Munich without the right yeast.100 % Munich1 is some thing I have never tasted ,could work but I think you would need some thing else,Skill.
GB

Hey Nev, any chance of posting your award winning Dunkel recipe?

yes, and a thankyou card from the gas co.

Yes, if it's just a matter of adding a little extra colour, go the Carafa. Save time. Save gas. Save money.

......... I might brew a series of neutral hopped 1 base malt beers. One with each of Pils, Vienna, munich, munich dunkel. And perhaps a series with the Ale equivalents - Pale, amber, brown etc. Then have a bit of a session playing around with exploring the flavours of each malt, and blending the "pure" beers. I'm thinking it might be a good recipe development tool.

Of course, I just finished night shift, so I'm probably talking dribble - take that into account before you call me an idiot please

Thirsty

Errrrmmm trying to mash 100% Amber or 100% Brown!
This'll be good!

Peter

Uhmmm, Amber and Brown malts have no diastatic power. Dont know how you will mash them.

Wes

Has anyone tried 100% Joe White Munich? I aquired 1/2 a bag & am keen to get rid of it (without throwing it away). I'm interested to try it 100% to get a good feel for the JW product, but I'm a little hesitant after I brewed a 100% JW Vienna beer awhile back (It had this faint sickly sweet character to it).
I'm thinking maybe adding 20% Wey Pils will help the enzyme activity & dry it out a bit? or is that just a stupid thought? :huh: :)

Go for it beers

Try mashing it cooler at 64 to 65 deg for better atenuation (less sticky sweetness, more maltiness) and bitter it a bit more if you want.

Munich wont make it sweet like crystal will.......... it has a deep bready toasty maltiness.

If you mash hot and bitter low an all pils malt beer will be sticky sweet too.

cheers

Vienna or Munich dark usually has a grain bill of
45-50% lager malt
35% Munich malt in Vienna lagers and 40%-45% Munich in Dark Munich

Looking that your aiming for a Dark Munich with 100%

Gregory Noonan reckon you should aim for stike temp of 68 ^_^.
A lot of late hops at strike out is recommended
Hallertau/perle all the way

I 'm just reading strigh from page 221 New brewing lager beer

Go for it beers

Try mashing it cooler at 64 to 65 deg for better atenuation (less sticky sweetness, more maltiness) and bitter it a bit more if you want.

Munich wont make it sweet like crystal will.......... it has a deep bready toasty maltiness.

If you mash hot and bitter low an all pils malt beer will be sticky sweet too.

cheers

Thanks for that Tony.

The lower mash temp hadn't really crossed my mind. I think I'll aim for 65c. I was planning on aiming for 35ibu from 3 additions of Galaxy hops. Should be interesting I think.

Cheers

Sounds perfect beers!

What yeast are you using?

cheers

Sounds perfect beers!

What yeast are you using?

cheers

It's looking like S-189 at the moment. I may however repitch some 1728 Scottish Ale depending on when I get around to brewing.

Cheers

Latest posts

Back