100+ Ibu Recipies

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ross

CraftBrewer
Reaction score
The current "Pliny the elder" thread has reminded me that it's time I made a 100+ IBU beer. Was planning the Stones Ruination Ale (see below) after trying it at the GBBF last year, but has anyone made this or any other 100+ recipe? If so, please share your recipe & experiences....

Ruination IPA
Imperial IPA

Type: All Grain
Date: 10/01/2006
Batch Size: 21.00 L
Brewer: Ross
Boil Size: 31.19 L
Boil Time: 90 min Equipment:
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.0

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
6.20 kg Pale Malt, Maris Otter (5.9 EBC) Grain 90.3 %
0.45 kg Crystal Malt - 60L (Thomas Fawcett) (118.2 EBC) Grain 6.3 %
0.25 kg Cara-Pils/Dextrine (3.9 EBC) Grain 3.5 %
75.00 gm Magnum [13.90%] (80 min) Hops 115.9 IBU
43.00 gm Centennial [10.00%] (5 min) (Aroma Hop-Steep) Hops -
56.00 gm Centennial [10.00%] (Dry Hop 5 days) Hops -
1 Pkgs American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056) Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.077 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.014 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 8.2 %
Bitterness: 115.9 IBU Calories: 90 cal/l
Est Color: 21.9 EBC Color: Color

Not yet Ross :) I will be doing a IPA with an og of 1.070 and 70 IBUs this weekend... a few more brews and I will see :D

Ross,

Been lusting after that beer 4 a while. It's still in the brew queue.

Have made an Arrogant ******* clone with extract and dark crystal grain (750g). No shame there, for using extract.
It's a big beer, al round. Takes a little to get used to. Much better when young, IMHO.
The hops just dance all over your tongue, and then scrape their feet to leave you a persistent bitterness in your mouth. 75g of 12.1% AA Chinook.

Seth :p

You guys have inspired me. I think I want to brew somthing like a Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale. It looks alot easier to brew and has about 62 bu's. Its also seems like a natural progression from my yeast slurry and the current ingredients I already have.

Celebration

Maybe next weekend a

Cheers,

JJ

Gday Ross,
I was once told that the sensors/palate could only percieve upto approx 100 ibu.
Can some shed some truth in this ? Or is it myth

Oh, i like the look or that recipe too Ross !

:beer:

Its really all about balance, you can have a beer at only 40 ibu that is percieved as more bitter than a beer at 80ibu.

I have done a couple beers up in that IBU, not something i'd do in summer time really, but i agree with what one brewer said that they are great fresh and if it takes time to mellow than you haven't hit the mark proberly, talking about IIPA here.

As far as the palate not picking anything above 100 ibu that sounds pretty spot on to me and wouldn't be supprised if a sciencific text actually showed it was a bit lower than that.

Anyway have fun with it ross, personlly i think at 1.077 around 80 IBU would be plenty.

Stronger than death
Jayse

It seems that the amount in the beer itself depends on the amount of alcohol. Found this quote at this link. Also includes a little on Pliny the Elder. Not sure about the palate's ability to handle hoppiness yet.

"The maximum IBU level in a beer is somewhat dependent on composition of the beer. A higher alcohol, higher gravity beer can have more IBU than a beer at 5 percent alcohol. A 5 percent beer will max out at 120 parts per million iso-alpha acids, which corresponds to about 80 IBU. It is physically impossible to have more IBU than that in a 5 percent beer. As alcohol and unfermented carbohydrate in the beer increases, so does the ability of the beer to carry more IBU. Our hop research expert feels that the claim that some barley wines have over 100 IBU is probably valid.

What a chemist may measure and a drinker may taste can differ. "Perceived hop quality versus measurable bitterness, that's a tough one. I'm not sure there is a relationship because so much more is involved, like flavor balance, and the types of hops used," says Steele. "Many feel that low cohumulone hops produce a better, cleaner bitterness. I do know that during the judging, the imperial IPAs that were not harsh or unbalanced did better with the judges. Clean bitterness was key." "

I've done 1.070 and 65 IBU, 1.090 and 90 IBU, 1.100 and 75 IBU.

Its not the IBUs that are the issue its the gravity. Its very easy to make a 1.070 beer which is immediately drinkable. Its possible but not easy to make a 1.090 beer which is immediately drinkable, regardless of IBUs. If you can make a 1.100 beer which is drinkable before 2 years aging you are a better man than I. Mine was 8 months old when Chiller judged it at Bathhurst and said " Not bad, bit rough, send it in next year and it should be pretty good".

It's defiantely about balance. The biggest IBU beers i have done is the Rye IPA which weighed in around 90IBU. Nobody complained that it was bitter though.

Here is the IPA I put down last weekend and a pic of it blowing its top :D

Type: All Grain
Date: 15/01/2006
Batch Size: 25.00 L
Brewer: Jye Smith
Boil Size: 33.93 L Asst Brewer:
Boil Time: 90 min Equipment: SK Brew Hous
Taste Rating(out of 50): 35.0 Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.0
Taste Notes:

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
7.20 kg Pale Malt, Traditional Ale (5.9 EBC) Grain 78.3 %
1.50 kg Munich, Light (Joe White) (17.7 EBC) Grain 16.3 %
0.50 kg Cara-Pils/Dextrine (3.9 EBC) Grain 5.4 %
28.00 gm Warrior [14.80%] (60 min) Hops 35.0 IBU
27.00 gm Chinook [12.20%] (15 min) Hops 13.8 IBU
32.00 gm Challenger [6.60%] (15 min) Hops 8.9 IBU
32.00 gm Cascade [6.00%] (15 min) Hops 8.0 IBU
27.00 gm Williamette [4.30%] (15 min) Hops 4.9 IBU
20.00 gm Cascade [6.00%] (Dry Hop 7 days) Hops -
20.00 gm Chinook [12.20%] (Dry Hop 7 days) Hops -
20.00 gm Warrior [14.80%] (Dry Hop 7 days) Hops -
20.00 gm Williamette [4.30%] (Dry Hop 7 days) Hops -
1.00 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
1.00 tsp Yeast Nutrient (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs American Ale II (Wyeast Labs #1272) Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.081 SG
Measured Original Gravity: 1.080 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.020 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.000 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 8.0 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 10.5 %
Bitterness: 70.6 IBU Calories: 751 cal/l
Est Color: 16.2 EBC Color: Color

DCP01947.JPG

Interesting hop combo there Jye :) ...

Looking forward to giving that one a taste... :)

Well my Ruination IPA has just hit the boil - preboil gravity at 1067, so all looking good at this stage :)

homebrewworld.com said:
Gday Ross,
I was once told that the sensors/palate could only percieve upto approx 100 ibu.
Can some shed some truth in this ? Or is it myth

Oh, i like the look or that recipe too Ross !

:beer:
[post="102013"][/post]​

ITs not a myth, the palate can taste bittering of around 100IBU max, but if you go higher than that you will also taste compounds from the hops, just not the bitterness....

I doupt its spot on 100 either, everyone is different

In the fermenter at 1080 :)

Tasted the wort & this is one cheek puckering ale - mashed low & fluid, as recipe says you want a FG of 1010 - whereas Beersmith predicting 1017. Either way, looks like being somewhere near 9% - hopefully this will balance out the bitterness ok...

cheers Ross

Geez Ross.

How many hop bags did you wind up with in the boiler? :blink:

I'd be ageing that one for some time methinks. :ph34r:

Warren -

warrenlw63 said:
Geez Ross.

How many hop bags did you wind up with in the boiler? :blink:

I'd be ageing that one for some time methinks. :ph34r:

Warren -
[post="104357"][/post]​

Think you might be right there Warren - 4 weeks anyway :D - though will carb & age in the keg as soon as it's ready, so I can taste the changes...

With 75 gms of bittering hops, used less hops than normal ;) - but christened the "hop sock" that Tony kindly sent me - as you can see, I hardley lose any wort to my hops...

hop_bag_in_kettle.jpg

Hop_bag.jpg

Hop_residue.jpg

Ross, where did you get that awesome hop sock. I want one!!! Im sick of hop mess in the bottom of my boiler!!

Cheers, Jj

Ps. Drank that keg of APA in under a week. Just filtered and kegged another APA dry hopped 20g Cascade 20g Centennial.

AWESOME!!!

jimmyjack said:
Ps. Drank that keg of APA in under a week. Just filtered and kegged another APA dry hopped 20g Cascade 20g Centennial.

AWESOME!!!
[post="104370"][/post]​

Hope you saved me a bottle :) ...

Back