1 Year Old Brew

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's a molecular diffusion thing, as O2 (and other gases helium is the worst for this) moves in through the plastic walls and into the beer it eventually saturates the beer and starts to dissolve into and dilute the CO2 blanket. Now while most of the gas at this point moving out of the airlock is O2 some is CO2 and as this process is on going eventually all the CO2 will be gone. Probably take well more than a year though if the temp is very stable as it would be in a tempmate run fridge.....

Well after a lot of Dily Dallying I finally got around to tasting it.

Almost.

I Filled half a glass and as i did I noticed a new aroma.

It smells very clearly and very strongly of Nail Polish remover.

Thats right......Acetone.

Can anyone tell me the Chemistry of that one.

Now theres a claim most brewers dont aspire to. My Bear can take nail polish off.

Im going to test it.

Well after a lot of Dily Dallying I finally got around to tasting it.

Almost.

I Filled half a glass and as i did I noticed a new aroma.

It smells very clearly and very strongly of Nail Polish remover.

Thats right......Acetone.

Can anyone tell me the Chemistry of that one.

Now theres a claim most brewers dont aspire to. My Bear can take nail polish off.

Im going to test it.
Mmm, Nail polish remover. I bought some wine like that once out near Dubbo.
Obviously undrinkable. Contacted the winery, an got some replacement bottles, they tasted the same. I didn't bother after that.
Just saw it was a coopers sparkling kit so it's no great loss if it goes down the sink.
An AG being tipped? That's when you can cry.

There is an infection that can cause acetone flavours, do a forum search you might some info about it.

Back