1.7kg Fermentables, 5l Batch...

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boingk

Reaction score
Anyone ever done this before?

Last night I was feeling bored...so I whacked a can of Homebrand Lager that I'd had sitting around for a while into a 5L demijohn, as well as some Cascade hops that I boiled for a while before adding. Threw in a 'dry' enzyme to help out the yeast, which was a Cascade Bohemian that I got from a past kit. Topped to 5L with water, and put some glad wrap over the top which I punctured with a pin as a sort of makeshift airlock.

Be interesting to see how this one comes out hey...

Did you take a gravity reading? Wouldnt be surprised if the yeast dies from the alcohol content before the job is done. Keep the temperature down, and age it a while, could be 10-12% alc.

haha, i'll personally be interested to see how this turns out.

sounds like fun

No, no gravity reading, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was up around the 1.080 to 1.100 mark...should've taken one hey. Basically I just wanted to get rid of this kit, because I wasn't going to use it in an actual batch :D

Anyone ever done this before?

Last night I was feeling bored...so I whacked a can of Homebrand Lager that I'd had sitting around for a while into a 5L demijohn, as well as some Cascade hops that I boiled for a while before adding. Threw in a 'dry' enzyme to help out the yeast, which was a Cascade Bohemian that I got from a past kit. Topped to 5L with water, and put some glad wrap over the top which I punctured with a pin as a sort of makeshift airlock.

Be interesting to see how this one comes out hey...

i love doing stuff like that. I have done it with left over bits of grain before and made drinkable beer.... I used to be happy making drinkable beer... Now - unless it is trully enjoyable it goes down the sink....

Home brew has such a shit rep because people make 'drinkable' beer. Aim for perfection - we need people to understand that VB is the drinkable stuff and beers like TEMPLE Pale Ale are the trully enjoyable!!!!!!

Im on a mission to make home brew not synonimus ( spelling is rooted there ;) ) with cats piss.....

Bear09 - I definitely agree with you! I try and make beers that will make you yearn for another as soon as the last one is gone. This has eluded me so far, but I have made some very enjoyable beers. My Cascade Lager is probably the most enjoyable so far to my tastes, and my brother agreed when I gave him some bottles of it.

Sadly, a mate in my dorm thinks my Toucan Draught was the best so far, and it was made with 2 cans of Farmland Draught and some leftover Hallertaus for dry-hopping. Total cost of $15...makes me ashamed!

each to their own i say! Id be happy with a dorm mate like that, easy to please! Leaving you with the good stuff. Unfortunatly ive shown my mates the good stuff, and they wont take any less now!

Bear09 - I definitely agree with you! I try and make beers that will make you yearn for another as soon as the last one is gone. This has eluded me so far, but I have made some very enjoyable beers. My Cascade Lager is probably the most enjoyable so far to my tastes, and my brother agreed when I gave him some bottles of it.

Sadly, a mate in my dorm thinks my Toucan Draught was the best so far, and it was made with 2 cans of Farmland Draught and some leftover Hallertaus for dry-hopping. Total cost of $15...makes me ashamed!

I used to live with 3 blokes and we had a 60- liter fermenter that we caller 'Arnie'. We chocked that baby up with all the kit brews you could imagine.... Im glad those days are gone. I used to try and get beer as cheap as possible. After many a shitty beer I finally realised that good beer can be cheap but not 10c a bottle. I find that my top notch home brew all grain can cost 70c a bottle or even 90c when I go all out.... but compared to $6 a bottle for the really good stuff - whos winning?

Good even great beer can be made at home.... it can be done!!!!

Latest posts

Back