Zierholz And Wig And Pen Visit

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andrewl

Reaction score
Went to both Zierholz and Wig and Pen yesterday. I wasn't overly impressed with the service at Zierholz (waited approximately 10 minutes to get served a beer/tasting paddle!) whilst other people were being served straight away... Basically felt like waking out. But the beer was pretty good especially the Weizen and the Amber Ale.
Wig and Pen on the other hand... WOW!!!!!!!!! Starting with the hop bines draping from the front door, on a cool afternoon it was god to walk into a cozy little brewpub with about 8 beers on offer... half of which are hand pumped (still want one!!!)
When I first got there SWMBO and myself got ourselves a pint of Kolsch... Which I quickly followed up with a Irish then a Best Bitter while the missus had a tasting paddle of Pale Ale, Blonde, I.P.A. and Amber Ale (I think)
I honestly could of stayed there the rest of the evening and settled into everything else that they had on offer but time didn't permit but if I ever go back there I know where I'll be going!!!

Cheers,
Andrew

I hear what you're saying about the Zierholz service, while I was there last the barman didn't want to take any money from me, but then later overcharged me for an extra drink and wouldn't admit he made a mistake. I was also hoping for a tour of the brewery but since Christoph the brewer and owner weren't there, the other staff seemed like they couldnt give a rats' arse about being a microbrewery and to be honest seemed like they would rather be somewhere else.

Still it's hard to discourage a beer enterprise like theirs!

i really liked the kolsch and the porter from zierholz, but i haddem at debacle.

canberra still beats sydney for beer, notwithstanding local taphouse... and hopefully we'll see some more of the above brewers at the local soon.

Back