Your Fave Pale Ale (commercial Or Brewed)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BitterBulldog

Reaction score
I've got to say i've never met a pale ale i haven't liked.

I prefer the US style over the English, but in general they are my fave beer style.

LCPA, Murray's & Redoak (both the Aussie & their Belgian Pale) are the 3 most recent i've had & been craving.

i think today i'm going to grab some Wicked Elf & something else.

any suggestions...

I've only just been opened up to these styles lately and are loving them, For me the choices were always Fourex or the Stag.

Pity tho its been winter when I was introduced so I cant wait for summer time

Edit: my fave would have to be LCPA

Commercial/Boutique would have to be Ironhouse Pale Ale that exhibits plenty of Amarillo. For my own, Trough Lolly's SNPA with of course a generous helping of Amarillo. APA's no doubt would be my favourite and from what I have seen of the many recipes that emulate this style it appears to have been taken up by many HBer's.

:chug:

I'd have to say White Shield IPA, never had a better Pale Ale either HB or commercial.

What an addictive style APA's have become. I checked Beersmith and every second batch I've made for the last year has been an APA of sorts. For the record I like SNPA and recently, Fat Yak.

I tend to prefer the less hoppy, hence Kooinda Pale Ale is my current fave

^^^ mate kooi's have got more hops than a LCPA and a JSGA put together. i'll back it up with a +1 for kooi's in the commercial world, iron horse is great also.

but for home its my house apa w/ chinook + cascade.

Lord Nelson's 3 sheets is drool worthy.

A pint of that in the Nelson in front of the fire, adds to the experience too.

used to be LCPA...

probably now Matilda Bay Alpha, folloed by Wicked Elf and Murrays...

LCPA on tap :icon_drool2: . Epic pale ale is very nice as well.
Fents i would love to see you recipe for your PA!

This is my house beer favorite, I usually change the hopping depending on whats in the freezer but rest remains pretty much the same

W Pils 4kg
Munich 1 0.5kg
JW Wheat 0.5Kg
Crystal 40L 160gms
Carapils 220 gms
Melanoidin 100gms

Nelson Sauvin 30 gms 60 min
B- Saaz 30 gms 10 min
Galaxy 35 gms 0 mins

S04 or US05 or 1968 yeast-

Mash 66 C

Last one had Nugget and Chinook

What an addictive style APA's have become. I checked Beersmith and every second batch I've made for the last year has been an APA of sorts. For the record I like SNPA and recently, Fat Yak.

Sounds like me. I always seem to have 1 pale ale on tap, if its not a pale ale, its something in that BJCP category, Amber or brown. I alwyas need my US hop fix :p

As for Pales i crave off the shelf, Well there are plenty of them, SNPA is the benchmark for balanced APA. Big fan of Crackenback. My APA that got 2nd in Paleale mania will be my house APA from now on i think, its a caramel APA. Awesome balance.

OG 1.047
IBU 37
83% Ale Malt
7% Carapils
6% Munich
2% Caramalt (20L)
2% JW Crystal (30L)
FWH - 25IBU Magnum
10 Min - 5IBU Cascade
10 Min - 5IBU Centennial
Cube Hop @ 70deg 15g Cascade (essentially a whirlpool hop)
Cube Hop @ 70deg 15g Centennial (essentially a whirlpool hop)

I tend to prefer the less hoppy, hence Kooinda Pale Ale is my current fave

Kooi a less hoppa pale ale? Watcha talkin bout Willis?! I'd say Kooi was on the upper end of the hoppy/ hop flavoured pale ales in the country(not taking into account actual IBU count). Mainly due to it being served Mit Hefe/unfiltered. If it was filtered i'd think it would be softer/delicate. It has a ruggedness being unfiltered. Like twas made in somones shed and chilled with pool water! :D

Maybe Micky/Trav can chime in if there has been any filtration testing! Be interesting to know what the profile is like post filtration.

Murrays 2IPA
Feral Hophog

The greatest smack you out hops in a beer.

By the way does somebody have a Feral Hophog Clone in AG?

As much as I love APAs, I think my favourite pale ale style is a straw coloured one with a touch of wheat zip, hopped with Hallertau or a derivative (like Mt Hood). I've brewed quite a few of these and they always go down well. Something like:

1.045 OG
85% Ale
10% Wheat
5% Munich
Bitter to 30 IBUs
1g/L Mt Hood @ 20
1g/L Mt Hood @ 10
1g/L Mt Hood @ 5

I'll be brewing pretty much this exact recipe in the next few weeks. Great style I reckon. Closest commercial beer would probably be something like Mountain Goat Pale Ale.

Cripes, you're right! Wonder if its similar in characteristics? Have you tried it? Might see if I can grab a sixer tonight for Day 2 of the cricket. Has it been out long?

I had a love hate relationship with the Pale Ale. You could tell it had the potential to be a great beer, but it was always so poorly presented - I think I have only had one or two bottles that were not way over-carbonated, and some were total gushers. But after the foam subsided in your mouth the flavour was really good.

Personally, I think hallertau is every bit as good (maybe better! :ph34r: ) in an ale as it is in a lager.

Back