Your best Caramel malt

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
QldKev said:
The Carabohemian sounds interesting with the intense caramel taste. The color is pretty dark, so I wonder of the other darker flavors would start coming through. I may get a couple of kg and try some.
Yeah Dr. Smurto uses it as a preferred replacement to Caraaroma

"Carabohemian is easily my favourite spec malt. It has 90% of the flavour of caraaroma minus the burnt toffee notes and ~ half the EBC."

idzy said:
I will throw Carabohemian out there as a malt that Dr.Smurto recommends as one of his favourites. ... He says he subs for CaraAroma.

http://www.weyermann.de/eng/produkte.asp?PN=2&idkat=18&umenue=yes&idmenue=37&sprache=2
Who is this Smurto you speak of?
Only kidding :ph34r:
you mean he subs CaraBohemian if he doesn't have CaraAroma, or he uses it instead of CaraAroma because it's that good?
"Intense Caramel" sounds good. Maybe i should get on this CaraBoh wagon...

Would mixing CaraBoh + CaraAroma + Melanoiden + Midnight wheat produce something kinda like Manticle's mixing of Light, Med & Dark Crystal to mimic the depth of flavour of Heritage Crystal; or an otherwise good complex rich malt effect?
(Yes, i bought lots of stuff in the previous BB and i'm trying to work out what to do with it B) )

(and why is Heritage unavailable?)

I just drank a bottle of beer I brewed with 3 KG Golden Promise and 100gm Carabohemian (small batch, about 5% ABV), bittered at 60 with Magnum to 36 IBU.

The lingering taste was a really nice caramel. That's after 6 months in the bottle.

I started using Carabohemian after brewing Smurto's TTLandlord clone. I can't say I really got the caramel before, but after aging it is pronounced.

Latest posts

Back