Yet Another Contract Brew

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andrew

Reaction score
http://www.unicornbrewery.com.au/

Yet another merchant banker with a lawyer mate taking an old country brewery label and contract brewing with it.

My guess is most likely will be made at AIB, possibly Regency TAFE or possibly even Mildura?

Yawn.

Rather sad, really, the number of beers available on the shelves that are all contract made at the same place - just look for the 26/7H fraction marker on the label.

At least the label launch looks like a good party for Burra, and an historic building might get some TLC out of it.

If it's good and cheap beer I'm sure the locals won't have any problems with it.

Why not wait until we see if its any good before complaining about it? If its good beer at a reasonable price then thats fine by me - the label is over a hundred years old! Its not like everyone is going to remember the brand, let alone complain "it doesn't taste like I remember!" :)

If I was a merchant banker I'd be trying to make money out of beer too - booze, ciggies and gambling are about the only certain profit turners in days like this... ;)

I'm a little torn with contract brewing. Some of the virtual brands are doing a great job with the marketing side and attracting punters away from low carb lager. This is a good thing in my book with Barons being probably the best example. On the other hand, many of the AIB beers I've tasted are pretty uninspiring. The ubiquitous cascade/amarillo APAs are OK at best with little malt character to make them stand out. Drinkable, but not setting the world on fire. This lack of excellence in the contract brewed beers reflects poorly on craft beer in general. These beers sit side by side with the genuine article in bottlos, especially the big ones like Dan's, where for every Murray's there are two or three virtual brands. Again, I think the contract brewing is good for craft beer, it's just unfortunate that the business climate is pushing people down the contract route instead of true craft brewing. Maybe it's a shortage of brewers that is the problem...

This lack of excellence in the contract brewed beers reflects poorly on craft beer in general.
Perfectly phrased. That's the nub of it right there.

A quick scan of my refrigerator on this rainy Saturday evening reveals Murray's, Coopers, LC, Goat, Knappstein and Shovel. Vastly diverse and characterful beers brewed by real brewers in actual breweries.

Perfectly phrased. That's the nub of it right there.

A quick scan of my refrigerator on this rainy Saturday evening reveals Murray's, Coopers, LC, Goat, Knappstein and Shovel. Vastly diverse and characterful beers brewed by real brewers in actual breweries.
...and soon to be graced with a Dampfbier from the Teninch Brewery, as discussed at B&T, if it all goes well.

I read today, in the local paper's Weekend supplement, about a beer brewed by the Steel River brewery (Newcastle), which was virtually indistinguishable from another product from the same place. Coincidence?

I have too much Murray's beer at home at the moment and would overflow the fridge if I tried to put it all in there.

I have too much Murray's beer at home at the moment....

I can come over at any time convenient with you tomorrow, Les, and relieve you of some until you reach a level you are comfortable with.... :p

The subprime crisis is based on too much Murrays in the Medowie swamp. Send me some so we can save the world.

I need to point out that "too much Murray's beer to fit in my fridge" is no indication of an oversupply, in any way.

Quite the contrary might be the case, where "Too much Murray's is never enough", to paraphrase "Rampaging" Roy Slaven.

And if Murray's ever went to contact brewing, it would break my heart. :wacko:

http://www.unicornbrewery.com.au/

Yet another merchant banker with a lawyer mate taking an old country brewery label and contract brewing with it.

Whilst I can agree in part what it comes down is what the merchant banker with a lawyer mate want to budget for in regards to ingredients. The poor old contractor brewer is most likely given a style of beer and told this is how much we can spend. If this is the case, yes it is a piss poor approach but on the other hand the poor old brewer might be told to brew the best possible beer and don't worry about the exspense. Most likely will find out the answers next week-end if I manage to get up there. Roughly a 1hour and 1/2 drive for me.

BYB

To quote Andrew "Rather sad, really, the number of beers available on the shelves that are all contract made at the same place". This is so true. Have a so called local brew "Byron Bay Premium Ale". Is it brewed here :rolleyes: ? Well no it is brewed at AIB. From that I gather these blokes (that are most likely major share holders) are cashing in on a name and don't give a rats about brewing a good local product. It is good to see brewery's like Murray's that are full on in house brewers. To say that I'm now looking forward to have another local product here shortly (Stone & Wood and I have no affiliation) brewed on premise instead of some crap beer pumped out chasing a well known name just for profit. OK I'm now stepping off my high horse.

Baldrick, you do have Northern Rivers at Alstonville. I agree about looking forward to the opening of Stone and Wood.

Why not wait until we see if its any good before complaining about it? If its good beer at a reasonable price then thats fine by me - the label is over a hundred years old! Its not like everyone is going to remember the brand, let alone complain "it doesn't taste like I remember!" :)

If I was a merchant banker I'd be trying to make money out of beer too - booze, ciggies and gambling are about the only certain profit turners in days like this... ;)

a yank by the name of pete slosberg and a few mates did this in the 90 's
about 10 yrs later they sold out for around 50 million big ones....mmm ideas...cheers...spog.......

To quote Andrew "Rather sad, really, the number of beers available on the shelves that are all contract made at the same place". This is so true. Have a so called local brew "Byron Bay Premium Ale". Is it brewed here :rolleyes: ? Well no it is brewed at AIB. From that I gather these blokes (that are most likely major share holders) are cashing in on a name and don't give a rats about brewing a good local product. It is good to see brewery's like Murray's that are full on in house brewers. To say that I'm now looking forward to have another local product here shortly (Stone & Wood and I have no affiliation) brewed on premise instead of some crap beer pumped out chasing a well known name just for profit. OK I'm now stepping off my high horse.

Whisper is that Byron Bay Premium will be brewed at Byron Bay in the near future. (Within 6 months).
I think you should talk to the people before you make a statment about them not giving a rats.

dogs01

Whisper is that Byron Bay Premium will be brewed at Byron Bay in the near future. (Within 6 months).
I think you should talk to the people before you make a statment about them not giving a rats.

dogs01

Yes, they have a bar and it seems a system on the way ... system in and working early next year apparently...

When you consider that you will need to realistically budget around $500k to set up a complete brew house coupled with the numerous restrictive govt regulations imposed on the industry it's hardly surprising that people are contracting out production to companies like AIB and Southern Bay.

I think excise (that ol' chestnut) is a big issue too. If beer excise came into line with the wine industry there would definitely be a large amount of new craft brewerys starting up. I'd be into it quick smart.

:icon_cheers:

If this reults in more south aussies trying something new and different in lieu of another west end draught, then good for all i say.

:icon_offtopic: I am currently enjoying some of the beers i made at a recent beer making coure at rengency park, sa, the wheat beer we made is going down a treat. Blue skies, beers, what more could you ask for... Cheers!

Well just just got back from a work trip around burra and thought that i should drop in a grab a few of there beers to try and have to say everything about the place was a bit sad.

Had their 3 beers Pale ale, Stout and Blonde not one would i buy again the stout was the best out of the 3 the pale ale lacked any real malt or hop flavor. The blonde was a bit better slight malt taste with some hops bitterness. Stout had the most flavor rich bitter coffee taste but after a few was a bit out of balance.

Latest posts

Back