Yet Another Cider Question

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

murrayr

Reaction score
was at my local maxi today and spotted a wonderful selection of preservative free, 100% apple juices.
there was a variety of different flavours and was wondering if anyone would know what flavour the different varieties would impart on a cider.
the choices are:
royal gala
fuji
mixed apples
apple and pear
apple and lemon
cheers, murray

Good cider is made from a blend of sweet, tart, bitter and tannic so if you have that choice range and it's cost effective, I'd try an equal blend.

When I've made cider with my own apple juice I've used royal gala, fuji, jonathon, red delicious, Granny Smith, Yellow delicious and a few nashi pears

There is no reason you can't run small-scale-in-bottle ferments of each type.
However, if I had to select just one (or two) I'd go for the mixed apples first, and then the apple and pear as a second choice.

I'm also curious to know what/where this "local maxi" is. :)

this local maxi foods is my local supermarket, tis in upper ferntree gully.
i do like the idea of perhaps using a bottle of each, as i was planning to do a 10-litre batch in my little fermenter and they're 2 litre bottles each.
at the very least it would make for an interesting, complex cider.
cheers guys, murray

This might just be me but I'd be a little dubious on the apple/lemon one for a cider. The others sounds pretty good - especially combined as per your plan.

thats a good point. i might end up doubling up on the mixed apples or the apple and pear one. will see how i feel when i come into the funds

Latest posts

Back