Yeasty action and delight

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cremmerson

Reaction score
I pitched a James Squire Golden Ale clone last night, my fourth brew and the first time I've added hops to a kit.

It's also the first time I've used US05 yeast and, due to reading too many other posts about lack of fermentation, the fear set in.

Twenty hours later and an underdeveloped Krausen? Another problem with my rehydration methods?

Then I looked closer and saw particles falling from the underwhelming Krausen. Falling down - and so that's it, it's over, I thought.

An hour later I walked back in to come to terms with a quick fermentation and looked closely. Not only were particles falling from the Krausen, they were shooting up from the developing yeast cake. I was watching my lovely yeast pushing things around, eating sugars from my crystal and turning it into CO2 and alcohol.

Brownian motion, a brewing beer and a gorgeous study of fluid dynamics and chemistry. Beautiful. All is well in the world.

Now hurry up - I need to drink.

Latest posts

Back