Yeast

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

humulus

Reaction score
AHBers
Brewed a Cali Common yesterday,i used wyeast 2112 this is the first time ive used this style/type of yeast.My question is...how long should i be expecting to wait until some airlock activity starts?
The yeast was pitched into a OGwort of 1048 at 21dg.I followed the instructions by popping the activator,i let the packet stand for 4/5hrs at room temp and it did not swell as much as expected.
Its been about 18hrs and no activity.Am i being impatient!!!!!?????
Thanks for any advise
Humulus

If the yeast pack was old-ish (6+ months) then it may be sluggish. Ideally you should have let the pack swell right out, and this may take 24+ hours for older lager yeasts. Any longer than 48 hours and you'd really want to pitch it into a strter to proof it's viability. I realise all of this is too late for you...

18 hours is not a long time, given that you have probably under pitched a slow starting yeast. Give it another 12 or so hours and see what happens. Rouse it a little to get it working if you need to.

Don't worry about the airlock Humulus. Is there any condensation on the underside of the fermenter lid. Also a change in the surface/color of the wort?

Have you taken a gravity reading? Or is there any other visual signs of fermentation?

On my way to the man cave to check everything let you know!!!!

Just checked looks like its dropped 1.5 gravity points,theres slight condensation inside of fermenter lid.so i might be off the hook!!!
Another quick question how much longer should i leave it until i put it in the fermentation fridge its sitting on 22dg now,should i wait just to make sure its happy fermenting?
thanks

In the firm fridge now set to desired temp. I'd suggest 18- 20 for this yeast .sounds like it's starting to ferment

Anchor steam is fermented with this yeast at about 16C I believe? I recently did a clone of it with this yeat at that temp and it was pretty good...

Latest posts

Back