Yeast might be dead?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Diddlez

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I did a red IPA yesterday and used a wyeast 1007 German ale smack pack. I noticed the pack didn't swell over the 4 or so hours I was brewing.

Anyway it's been 24 hours and no bubbling in the airlock. What's the go from here. Do I wait another 24 hours and do a hydro test and see if the gravity is going down. If it is then it's all good I guess.

If it's not, can I just add another yeast packet into the wort?

Give it some time, Diddlez.

The bubbleometer is not an accurate gauge. Yeast age, prior yeast handling, pitch rates, oxygen levels, temps and a whole bunch of things can effect the start of initial ferment.

Can you hear CO2 bubbling when you stick your ear to the FV?

Either way, you are right in that gravity testing is the only way to know, but it is far too early to be concerned. The old adage of "Relax, don't worry and have a homebrew" is an adage for a reason.

You are also right in that you can always add more yeast later on if it is a complete dud. I'd bet that you are going to be completely fine.

Cheers!

What was the date on the smack pack? If the date is getting on a bit, it is best to make a starter.

You can always smack the pack a couple of days before brewing. That way you will know it is good when you pitch it to your wort.

Expecting a really fresh yeast to swell in 4 hours is, well pushing it a bit, Wyeast say 3-5 hours, that is for yeast at fermentation temperatures (21-24oC) if you took it out of the fridge and smacked it, even day old yeast no chance it will swell in 4 hours.
Be patient - given that the yeast is reasonably fresh and you are at sensible temperatures, it will fire up in a day or so, good idea to get a grip on concepts like lag time and how yeast is supposed to work.
Really yeast shouldn't go off like a hand grenade, it should take some time to acclimate, take up nutrients, reproduce then start fermenting.
1007 is an interesting choice for an IPA!
Mark

False alarm. I stared the fermenter down for a while and it is bubbling slowly, I can tell also because the water isn't level in the airlock, it's pushing to one side.

The yeast was straight out of the fridge so I guess that's why it took a while to fire up.

I just wanted to know what the go would be worst case scenario.

Back