Yeast..

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

francismcphail

Reaction score
So I do my 1st AG, pop it into the fermenter and put in the yeast etc etc...

24 - 36 hours later... nothing.. no action at all. Ok.. So it's sitting at 18c... Wyeast Labs likes to be at 23c until it gets going.. Not that I've had this problem before.. So on goes the heat belt.. still no action.. hmmmmm
Look at the yeast vial date...(This is where I want to make sure I've got things right..)
The use by stamp on the vial reads exactly like this...

Oct 08 - 06

Now does that mean;
A - October 8th, 2006?
B - October 2008, June?

I've now learnt to look at the yeast in more detail before departing the LHBS.

My money is on A, and that my yeast is dead. :angry:

Pays to prove liquid yeast by making a starter. My money's on A.

Wyeast or Whitelabs? Wyeast don't come in vials.
The date on the Wyeast smack packs is the date of manufacture; normally it would read MFGOct06.
What was the gravity of the wort? Bigger beers can take a while to kick off. Which yeast? Some are slower to activate. What was the temp of the wort and the yeast when you pitched?
I'm with Screwtop. Starters. Always starters.
Either way I would give it more time.

My money's also on A, but I doubt that your yeast is dead. You're much more likely to have less viable/healthy yeast in there. That should just mean a slower start to your fermentation.

Another thing that can lead to a long lag time is aeration. With a pack of liquid yeast and no starter, good aeration is vital. How did you aerate the wort?

Either way, I'd just wait until tomorrow and if there's nothing happening in the morning pick up some more yeast during the day. By the time you come home, it's bound to have started. :lol:

sicnarf,

Ive just had the same problem using some Whitelabs yeasts. I had them delivered in ice packs, and popped them straight in the fridge. 24-36hrs before pitching time (friday afternoon), I got them out in room temperature. Made starters of boiled, cooled water and ldm at 1030. Then pitched the vials into the starter solution.
Yesterday I spent the whole day with my neighbour making 3 brews, one of which we are pitching dry us56. The other 2 are using the starters. The starters havent even made any reaction. Im reluctant to pitch.

Looking at the used by date on the vials it says Jan 08, 07. Im done for. Weird thing is, the order date in my email inbox says 09/01/07. So he sent them after the expiry. Man I should have checked too.

Brad

Another thing that can lead to a long lag time is aeration. With a pack of liquid yeast and no starter, good aeration is vital. How did you aerate the wort?

After tranferring the wort from jerry can to fermenter at a distance of 1 meter (lots of spashing.), after that I picked up the fermenter and shook the bejesus out of it for about 5 minutes.

I don't think it's a lack of airation issue...

No, that sounds fine, Francis. :D

I think Voosher's questions are spot on.

What was the gravity of the wort? Bigger beers can take a while to kick off. Which yeast? Some are slower to activate. What was the temp of the wort and the yeast when you pitched?

Wyeast or Whitelabs? Wyeast don't come in vials.
The date on the Wyeast smack packs is the date of manufacture; normally it would read MFGOct06.
I'm with Screwtop. Starters. Always starters.
Either way I would give it more time.

All I can do it be patient.. and if nothing happens get more yeast from a different source.

- Was a vial of 1028 Whitelabs
- Gravity was 1050 in the fermenter.
- Temp was 18c when pitched, now sitting at 22c, and waiting.

Ahhh the things you learn...

Sicnarf, what does the surface of the wort look like?

Is is starting to foam up?

Sicnarf, what does the surface of the wort look like?

Is is starting to foam up?

It's barren of anything.. Smells fantastic though...
Kilkenny_Clone___2007_01_28.jpg

After tranferring the wort from jerry can to fermenter at a distance of 1 meter (lots of spashing.), after that I picked up the fermenter and shook the bejesus out of it for about 5 minutes.

I don't think it's a lack of airation issue...

Yeast are usually good for at least 6 months past their "use by date"

Liquids do sometimes take a while to get going.

Give your fermenter another "swirl" to get it back into suspension and it will probably take off within 12 or so hours.

cheers

Darren

Yeah my old liquid starter to 3 days to start up just the other week. I'd follow his advice ^^^

Big swirl for about a minute is best. Lots of bubbles on the top is what you are after. Make sure the lid is tight and disconnect the airlock. I could make a mess but should get it going if there is any live yeast in there.

cheers

Darren

Something is not quite right here. Sicnarf is saying that it is was a vial of Whitelabs 1028.
Whitelabs dont' use the number 1028. Wyeast 1028 is a London Ale yeast. Wyeast don't come in vials, they are a smackpack.
Whitelabs have their Best Before date set out like;
Best Before: Feb11 - 07
I'd be getting some Dry Yeast in there real quick.

Regards,
Lindsay.

Something is not quite right here. Sicnarf is saying that it is was a vial of Whitelabs 1028.
Whitelabs dont' use the number 1028. Wyeast 1028 is a London Ale yeast. Wyeast don't come in vials, they are a smackpack.
Whitelabs have their Best Before date set out like;
Best Before: Feb11 - 07
I'd be getting some Dry Yeast in there real quick.

Regards,
Lindsay.
My mistake. My recipe called for Wyeast 1028 London Ale Yeast. I could only get White Labs. Sorry for the confusion.
The exact yeast I've used is
- White Labs - London Ale Yeast - WLP013
- Best Before: Oct 08 - 06
- Lot Number: 1013lph174536

I've given it a good swirl, If it's not doing anything by tomorrow I'll take a trip to Grain and Grape and pick up some good yeast.

Although completly my fault for not reading the best before date before leaving the LHBS, I'm not too impressed with them at the moment. I would have thought something out of date in relation to yeast would have been either disposed of, or I would have been advised when purchasing that it was out of date.

Anyway hindsight's a wonderfull thing... :rolleyes:

My mistake. My recipe called for Wyeast 1028 London Ale Yeast. I could only get White Labs. Sorry for the confusion.
The exact yeast I've used is
- White Labs - London Ale Yeast - WLP013
- Best Before: Oct 08 - 06
- Lot Number: 1013lph174536

I've given it a good swirl, If it's not doing anything by tomorrow I'll take a trip to Grain and Grape and pick up some good yeast.

Although completly my fault for not reading the best before date before leaving the LHBS, I'm not too impressed with them at the moment. I would have thought something out of date in relation to yeast would have been either disposed of, or I would have been advised when purchasing that it was out of date.

Anyway hindsight's a wonderfull thing... :rolleyes:

I doubt there is anything wrong with that yeast. I suspect the lack of a starter is your problem here. All grain worts generally require good sized starters to give the yeast their best chance.

- Snow

I just pitched a 026 Premium Bitter dated Sep-06 yesterday into a starter of 500ml.

Didn't use the whole vial, but it took off overnight. There are just less viable yeast cells in old tubes. It will probably start, but the longer it takes the greater the chance of something going wrong. I wouldn't leave it too much longer without getting a dry in there.

As well, usually when a yeast is past the best by date, the LHBS should give them to you at a reduced price. Did you pay full or reduced?

Cheers.

Some good points from everyone else - just one more thing to make sure of - what temp was the wort when you pitched?

It will probably start - my first AG didn't seem to do anything for the first 24 hours - I started worrying, and went and bought some more yeast. When I got home it was crawling out the airlock. Maybe you just need to threaten it?!

M

There is only one way to put a stop to this ever existing problem with brewers on this forum.
Make starters and pitch them when at high krausen!

Latest posts

Back