Yeast Starters Or Not

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fergi

Reaction score
have been reading about yeast starters,that is building a starter up to about a litre ,

what is the difference between building a starter from say an 11 grm pkt us 05 yeast or just rehydrating it instead, this question applies to any yeast really.
is there a difference in flavour.
fergi

what is the difference between building a starter from say an 11 grm pkt us 05 yeast or just rehydrating it instead, this question applies to any yeast really.
is there a difference in flavour.
fergi

Flavour? no idea what you asking fergi.
The difference between a pack of us05 vrs pitching it in only 1 ltr of starter would be 7/8ths of bugger all. Liquid yeast starters are a different ball game, fewer cells i.e slants, splits.

Flavour? no idea what you asking fergi.
The difference between a pack of us05 vrs pitching it in only 1 ltr of starter would be 7/8ths of bugger all. Liquid yeast starters are a different ball game, fewer cells i.e slants, splits.

Ok then,what is the difference to using a pkt of yeast compared to a yeast starter,i mean what is the difference or should i say what are the advantages of a starter.
fergi

less funk - Unintentional Funky Offensives. by kickin it off and gettig it moving you're helping the yeast to be the dominant mofo in there.

sim

Dried yeast packets come with a lot more yeast cells than a liquid yeast package (~20 billion per gram), so the dried have enough cells to ferment a large gravity beer or w/e without building the population of yeast up.

Liquid yeasts on the other hand come with less cells (100 billion total) and being a fresh product they don't last as long in storage, so depending on the beer you're making you probably will have to increase the amount of yeast via a starter.

The only flavour difference would be in not having a healthy ferment from underpitching. Check out these 2 links on the mrmalty site, pitching, starter faq.

Ok then,what is the difference to using a pkt of yeast compared to a yeast starter,i mean what is the difference or should i say what are the advantages of a starter.
fergi
Mate,
It's all about the number of active , viable yeast cells. The more yeast you have , the better job it does in converting that sweet wort into alcohol. Yeast , when stressed ( or when there isn't enough of them ) will give off flavours. If doing a lager , i would always do a starter or use 2 packs of dry yeast....
A pkt of yeast is a diff ball game to a liquid yeast though....I always rehydrate my dry yeast...this isn't makeing a starter...its about getting the yeast cell wall in a better place to help ferment better...you don't have to rehydrate...but it is a better option....
Making a starter ( with a liquid yeast ) is about "stepping up" or making "more" viable yeast before pitching to into your beer....
Hope this makes it clearer...
Ferg

Making a starter ( with a liquid yeast ) is about "stepping up" or making "more" viable yeast before pitching to into your beer....
While I agree with everything (else) you said, making a starter is just as much about making healthy yeast as it is about making more yeast cells.
A smaller amount of healthy yeast is better than a larger volume of half dead yeast.

But back on topic...if using dry yeast, skip the starter and simply pitch the correct amount of rehydrated dry yeast.

thanks guys ,thats what i wanted to know.

fergi

Latest posts

Back