Yeast Starter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stef

Reaction score
Hi,

Just wondering, with an average starter (ie, 1.046 or something- hot water and LDME), with a dry packet of an 'average' yeast pitched (say us05 or something), at about 20 degrees, after how long is it at its most active and best for pitching? (on average- i realise they vary a bit)

Also, using old yeast for yeast nutrient- does bakers yeast do the same trick? Was gonna boil up an old kit yeast, but thought i might chuck a tsb of bakers yeast in too if it would make any difference.

Cheers,

Stef

I wouldn't add any other yeast, you don't know which will end up more dominant and you don't want old yeast or bakers yeast doing any fermentation in your batch. Stick with a proper nutrient or use dme to make your starter because this won't need any nutrient.

Hi,

Just wondering, with an average starter (ie, 1.046 or something- hot water and LDME), with a dry packet of an 'average' yeast pitched (say us05 or something), at about 20 degrees, after how long is it at its most active and best for pitching? (on average- i realise they vary a bit)

Also, using old yeast for yeast nutrient- does bakers yeast do the same trick? Was gonna boil up an old kit yeast, but thought i might chuck a tsb of bakers yeast in too if it would make any difference.

Cheers,

Stef

Stef 1.040 use 2 litre port bottles yes a little old yeast 24 hours you really dont need to make a starter with dry yeast just add to a little cooled boild water before pitching

Stef dont add any other yeast mate all the yeast needs is sugar, anything else might compromise the good stuff.
If youre curious just buy yourself some packets from youre local hbs and muck around.

Stef 1.040 use 2 litre port bottles yes a little old yeast 24 hours you really dont need to make a starter with dry yeast just add to a little cooled boild water before pitching

Gday Pumpy, so just rehydrating dried yeast with cooled boiled water is suffice enough? Cheers..

I ask because its to pitch into a cider experiment, which i believe may not have adequate nutrients for the yeast. I would not be pitching 2 yeasts- 1 would be boiled and therefore not viable. This would then act (hopefully) as a nutrient for the viable yeast- possibly us05.

If you're making a starter for anything then you want to give it 2-3 days before you pitch it.
You want to pitch it when it's fermenting. I always aim for 2 1/2 to 3 day before pitching my starters.
I'm sure cider will be the same. If you're going to use US-05 you could use a packet to start it and then say make a starter from another packet...
I've never made a starter from dry yeast so others will have a better idea. I have used US-05 in beers and it's great.
I would personally look at washing some US-05 from a previously brewed beer if you must use US-05.
Maybe there's better yeasts for a cider? Give it a couple of days before pitching though... You'll see if fermenting in the container...
I do my starters in a coffee plunger with some cling wrap and a rubber band. Hope this helps.

Back