Yeast Starter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is there a list of what bottles can be cultured and what cannot? Would be pretty easy to compile from everyones experiance here. I have succesfully brewed with Leffe and Duvel thats all I can remember off the top of my head.

There was one floating around the internet somewhere but much of the info might be out of date.

Most trappist beers are bottle conditioned with the same yeast except Orval as I understand - predominantly because Orval uses brett in the bottle conditioning.
Coopers use the same
Pretty sure Young's do

I don't really think post-fermentation oxidation to a starter is going to cause much of a problem. I guess it depends on the starter size, and how much off flavour you create. I suppose that if the yeast use up all their energy supplies you could create a selective process for survival of the yeast with the lowest metabolism which may alter the strain of the yeast.

mjp do the swing top bottles act as air locks? thats a good idea. I've been using specially made lids called oztops which have a little oneway valve in them for doing my starters.

Swing tops keep the nasties out-I do release the pressure in the morning and before bed though

Back