Yeast Starter - Temp - Stoopid Question

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cantoffie

Reaction score
Let it get to about 31C today. heating pad warmed it and the apartment got a bit warmer(Spring is sprunging)...

Brewing an Altbeir. The Yeast smells a bit funky, but its a german ale wyeast... praying its suposed to smell a bit?

... I think I know the answer. RIP Little buddies.

If you are decanting the starter wort and just using the slurry or adding new wort to make an active starter, it should be fine as your maib objective was growing yeast which you have done.
If you were making an active starter, chill, decant and use the slurry to make another.

manticle said:
If you are decanting the starter wort and just using the slurry or adding new wort to make an active starter, it should be fine as your maib objective was growing yeast which you have done.
If you were making an active starter, chill, decant and use the slurry to make another.
Hey, thanks, this is good news. I will need some clairification on the two options as I am not sure of the meaning of active starter. When I do Yeast starters I generally pour the whole solution into the fermenter. Is this the meaning of decanting?

But other than that I can drain the liquid off the yeast slurry or bed at the bottom and then pitch again into more sanitized water and light malt powder?

No Issues with the smell?... it is a little funky. Not like gut wrenching, but smells a little like fart.

If you pour the whole lot in when it is actively fermenting, that is an active starter.
To decant means to remove the liquid - in this case I mean discard the liquid and use only the slurry.
The liquid is the stinky bit - leave those bits out.

manticle said:
If you pour the whole lot in when it is actively fermenting, that is an active starter.
To decant means to remove the liquid - in this case I mean discard the liquid and use only the slurry.
The liquid is the stinky bit - leave those bits out.
10-4 mate. Thank you for your help.

Back