Hi all bit of a newbe question on yeast starters

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nebes

Reaction score
Hi all i have a wyeast 1056 and i made a starter with 1.5 lts of water boiled with 1/2 cup of dme cooled it down to temp put the yeast in it sat for 2 days doing its thing. I made a beer 37 lts at 1054. I started poring off the used dme in sink i didnt think there was enough yeast there so i took 500mm of boiled wort cooled it down and put it with my yeast that i have been growing last night it took off my question is do i pour the whole contents of the flask on top of the beer or do i pour part of it off swirl it around and then pour it on the beer?
Thanks in advance

How have you treated it? Has it been overly warm or agitated constantly?

I add entire starters when active but they are made from grain wort (identical to main wort), agitated early only and fermented at reasonable temps.

If shaken, warm or a high proportion of dme and the wort had none, I'd ferment close to fg, chill, decant and add.

I gave it a stir a few times and has been on the kitchen bench with a towel wrapped around it around 17 to 20 degrees.

Here is a pic of it right now

20161008_091247.jpg

Under those conditions, you'd be right to put straight in if the DME won't affect the flavour of the main batch too much.

You've got just over a litre of starter made predominantly from the wort you are going to brew, going into 35+ litres of wort. Throw the whole thing in and ensure you have aerated well.

You are a bit light on for yeast cell count. According to Mr Malty you should have 2 packs + 1.7L or 1 pack + 4.3L starter

Latest posts

Back