Under attenuated extract IPA

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonnyJonny

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

First post here. My second brew is currently in the fermentor, dry hopped today after 10 days. It's an IPA brewed with DME as well as Munich and crystal grains. I ended up doing a mini mash with the grains (45 mins at 65C) as my homebrew shop had assumed me ypu can steep Munich bit research told me you can't!

Anyway, the OG was 1.063 and after 10 days the FG is 1.020. Temp has been steady around 18-22 but not controlled.i used a 1L yeast starter but I'm concerned I didn't oxygenate both the starter and the wort enough

I'm rambling but my question is, is there anything I can do to rouse the yeast and give it that last little kick, and is it even worth it? Also, if I bottle at 1.020 with carbonation drops, am I risking kick-starting it again and potentially getting bottle bombs?

Thanks

Lot of information not provided, like how big the batch was, how much yeast you added (1pk in 60L isn't the same as 1 in 23L), what type of yeast, how much (which) DME, Munich,Crystal...

You are right and your HBS is wrong about Munich malt, it needs mashing (or mini-mashing in this case) but again how much Munich and Xal did you use? Both tend to raise the FG.

Your apparent attenuation (OG-FG/OG = AA%) is about 68%, which is at the low end for most brewing yeasts but not disastrously so. A respectable 5.7% ABV.

Fill your Hydrometer jar with wort, add a tsp of sugar, put it somewhere warm >25oC for a couple of days see if the gravity comes down a bit, if so rouse the yeast (swirl the fermenter and warm the brew a bit), if not bottle the sucker!
Mark

Hi mate, thanks for the reply
This was a 21L batch. I used 1 pack of the white labs wlp001 yeast in a 1L starter. Then pitched the starter 2 days later.

I used 450g of the Munich and 250g of the crystal.

Thanks for the tip. I'll try that today. The fermentor is currently in a warmer place so if nothing's changed I'll give the hydrometer jar trick a go.

Back