Yeast starter from fermentor

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beamer

Reaction score
Hey all,
Im kegging some beer today from a second fermentor which I have used to crash chill in. I have 20 litres in the fermentor(only needing 19). I was curious as to if I could use the left over beer for a yeast starter I was planning to make tomorrow?
I will be using washed wpl 001

Thanks

No I don't think that would be a good idea. There is very little fermentable sugar left in the beer since the yeast you used to make the current batch of beer has already converted it all to alcohol and co2. I would use a solution of dry malt extract boiled in water (gravity 1040) for your starter. you can however just pitch a couple of cups of thick yeast slurry from the previous batch for your new batch if you are happy to use the same yeast.

Thanks coodgee,
I thought that the lack of sugars may have been a problem. Ill just stick to the normal way.

What yeast is in your fermentor? If WLP 001 then wash it and use it- wont require a starter as you will have loads of cells.
Also if you have 20 L in your fermentor it is unlikely you will get 19L of beer. Usually you will have 1.5-2L of trub and shit at the bottom.

Cheers Droopy, ill give that a try I have got some other 001 washed in the fridge. the fermentor was my second fermentor so I had racked of the trub all ready

Back