Yeast Question

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sunovagun

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Got a quick question.

Just threw together a lager. And when i sprinkled the yeast in the wort (us-05) it went all clumpy. Does this mean the yeast is bad and/or will it affect fermentation? Anyone else experienced this?

I threw it in and then gave it a stir with the spoon. Which i do with all my brews. But this is the first time the yeast has 'clumped up'. Maybe I am just paranoid. ;)

Thanks!

You will know by morning if it is no good as there should be kruasen by then. I would not worry to much if the Use By Date was OK

I'm sure it'll be fine. Check the 'Use By' date on the packet and if its fine then I'd say your set. Worst that could happen is that the yeast is a dud, or takes off very slowly. I find a reliable way to gauge a yeasts activity early on is its 'colony print' on the bottom of the fermenter - a white-ish looking sludge. If thats there after 8 to 12 hours, you're in business. If nothing at all is happening after 24 hours, pitch another yeast (preferably of same variety).

Hope all goes well - boingk

Thanks for the quick replies.

Yeast was well within use by date. Bought from craftbrewer last week.

I am just hoping the melbourne heatwave temperatures didn't affect it while it was in auspost transit....

Thanks for the quick replies.

Yeast was well within use by date. Bought from craftbrewer last week.

I am just hoping the melbourne heatwave temperatures didn't affect it while it was in auspost transit....

I beleive S-05 is an ale yeast. Just for your info (not trying to be a smart arse.)Your LHB store may be just trying to help you compete against the heat. Good luck with it. :icon_cheers:
Daz

If it sat in your letterbox all day at the temps of the last few days it is probably rooted.

cheers

darren

I beleive S-05 is an ale yeast. Just for your info (not trying to be a smart arse.)Your LHB store may be just trying to help you compete against the heat. Good luck with it. :icon_cheers:
Daz

hmm...not sure what you meant by that...I bought from craftbrewer not my lhbs. As stated above.

Package was only in the letterbox for about 20 minutes...and the brew has started fermenting nicely! So all appears good. :D

I had just never seen the yeast clump together at the time of pitching.

Thanks again guys

hmm...not sure what you meant by that...I bought from craftbrewer not my lhbs. As stated above.

Package was only in the letterbox for about 20 minutes...and the brew has started fermenting nicely! So all appears good. :D

I had just never seen the yeast clump together at the time of pitching.

Thanks again guys
US-05 is still an ale yeast. hence you will get an ale, which isn't bad as trying to brew a lager at current temperatures is :icon_vomit:

I always sprinkle slowly and stir as I go to avoid clumping.

Glad to hear it's started.

S-05 is an "American Ale" yeast, which is slightly cleaner tasting than S-04, and apparently gives more emphasis to hop flavors vs malt. I've only used it once - good results but actually I couldn't tell that much difference to the S-04.

Just threw together a lager. And when i sprinkled the yeast in the wort (us-05) it went all clumpy. Does this mean the yeast is bad and/or will it affect fermentation? Anyone else experienced this?

I threw it in and then gave it a stir with the spoon. Which i do with all my brews. But this is the first time the yeast has 'clumped up'. Maybe I am just paranoid. ;)

I very much doubt the yeast is bad. You say it's started fermenting now so that is good.

I wouldn't worry about the yeast clumping together but it is good to try and sprinkle it all over the surface of the wort, which should be foamy at the time of pitching anyway since you have just filled the fermenter and so aerated the wort.

Latest posts

Back