Yeast Question

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Avit

Reaction score
Hi guys

I have just been to my LHBS in Manchester to pick up the bits for the following brew (an amber ale similar to Rogers Beer - i hope!!):

- 3kg Light Malt Extract
- 250g Crystal Malt
- 12g Northern Brewer & 12g Cascade hops (60min boil)
- 14g Cascade hops (15min boil)
- 20g Cascade hops (5min boil)
- SAF US56

Anyway, they didn't have Safale US56 so i have come home with Safale S-04. The guy at the homebrew shop hadn't heard of US56 (maybe a pommie thing). Is the Safale S-04 suitable or will it change my beer completely?

Also, I have ended up with 3.2Kg of LME - the extra 200g of LME shouldn't make a whole heap of difference should it??

Lastly, what do people think of the recipe? It is very similar to the last one i made, the only difference is I have substituted the bittering hops from Perle to the 12g of Norhern Brewer and 12g of Cascade. I really enjoyed my last brew, Im hoping this one will be a bit more mellow...

Cheers

Avit

S0-4 is ok i still prefer us56.
The s-04 gives a fruitier ale but but not as balanced as us-56 IMO.
Try it and see how yer go.
keep the temp down around 18 it 'll turn ok.
I think B)

Hi Avit,

Agree with Matti about the S-04. The US-56 is perhaps better in a Roger's clone (mid-strength APA), though you should be OK with the S-04 if you keep the temp const around 16-18 deg C. The US56 is now called "US-05", so perhaps that might have confused the bloke at your LHBS.

The quantity of DME is perhaps a little high for a mid-strength beer. Your recipe will give about 5% ABV from 25 Ltrs, or 6.3% from 20Ltrs!!!
I'd use the DME at a rate of about 1kg per 10Ltrs (so 2.5kg for 25Ltrs), which should give you about 4%ABV. The Crystal is a nice addition, and could be increased even more to give it more malt depth.
The hopping schedule looks fine (should give about 30IBU, depending on the %aa of your hops).
I'd also suggest dry-hopping with a little more Cascade in secondary, and a very small amount of Chinook if you can get your hands on it (say 5gm).

There's plenty of info on this forum on various Little Creatures products, and some very tasty clones (do a search on "Skunk Fart Pale Ale")!!

Also, I recommend getting some brewing software to help with recipe formulation. QBrew is a good example - it's free, easy to use, and makes light work of recipe formulation.

Hope it goes well,
:beer:
Hutch.

Hi Avit,

The quantity of DME is perhaps a little high for a mid-strength beer. Your recipe will give about 5% ABV from 25 Ltrs, or 6.3% from 20Ltrs!!!
I'd use the DME at a rate of about 1kg per 10Ltrs (so 2.5kg for 25Ltrs), which should give you about 4%ABV. Hutch.

Yes that is true. But he has LME, which won't give the same % for the same amount of weight...

It will still be on the high side for a mid strength I think but should be alright.

I have a memory, could be an incorrect one, that it is something like 1kg DME = 1.25LME

US56 or S05 is also a great yeast for anything hoppy, it really brings out the hops flavours in a way that S04 wont. Still will be a nice beer though.

Yes that is true. But he has LME, which won't give the same % for the same amount of weight...

It will still be on the high side for a mid strength I think but should be alright.

I have a memory, could be an incorrect one, that it is something like 1kg DME = 1.25LME

American Amber is listed by BJCP as 4.5 to 6%, with OG from 1045 to 1060. It's a wee bit stronger
than the Aussie idea of a mid-strength beer.

I reckon 3.2 kg of LME is going to be right in the middle of this range or maybe even less.
My little reckoner forecasts 1050 OG and 4.6%; and it's usually within a point or two. My last batch
had 3.2 kg of LME plus a full kg of steeped grain for OG of 1053. I reckon the LME part opf the recipe looks right on the money.

I'm concerned you're a little low on IBU though, should be at least 30 IBU, calculate what bitterness your 24g will give you, for a real american amber perhaps increase bitterness a touch.

Back