Yeast Opinions Please

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

milob40

i'd rather a bottle in front of me than a frontal
Reaction score
hi all, i knocked up a dr smurtos golden ale last wednesday night (smells delicious) and it has already hit fg. on monday night (18deg ferm.)
decided to try the nottingham yeast i had in the fridge.... instead of us05.
wow this is one very quick yeast and the wort is clearing up already.
is there a major difference in final resulting flavour between this and using us05?
thinking of doing a couple of megaswill lager styles with nottingham as it will cut down waiting time and allow me to stock up my fridge :D
is nottingham better suited to stronger flavoured ales etc?
i wii use my saflager for this once my stock has built up though.

I find Nottingham strips hop flavour much more than US05.
Personally I only like Nottingham in darker beers like porters, stouts, etc. where I think it is excellent, but people have used it for pseudo lagers as it will ferment down lower temp wise.
We had a club brew day where everybody got a cube of wort from the same batch at a commercial brewery and fermented it with a different yeast.
I tasted the Nottingham and S04 versions side by side, along with many others, when everyone brought their beers into the club meeting and it was noticeable how much of the hops had been taken away by the Nottingham.
Personal preference etc. etc. but I'd use US05 for anything remotely hop driven. I'd also use it for psuedo lagers, I've tasted some decent beers done with us05 at lower temps in place of a lager yeast. They definitely lacked a little of that crisp lager character but they were very drinkable.

Back