Yeast Lag Time

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crakaz

Reaction score
New to brewing and just put down my first low temperature lager. It is refrigerated to 11-12 degs. C and was pitched @ 22degs. C. 24hrs ago. Wondering how long for signs of activity will take. Anyone help?

I'm in exactly the same boat as you.

My first refridgerated lager, similar temps and pitched on Sunday night.

Still no signs of life :-(

Haven't done a lot so far but my last one didn't have much activity in the fridge. I think the slower fermementation time leads to not much bubbling in the airlock.

Airlock activity also isn't the be all and end all of measuring activity.

Did you take an OG reading? If so, wait another day and measure it. It should have started its journey down. If it hasn't, maybe it is time to think about other things.

Did you pitch enough yeast? Many people prefer a starter for lagers, or else two packets of dried yeast to get the required amounts of yeast eating away...

Haven't done a lot so far but my last one didn't have much activity in the fridge. I think the slower fermementation time leads to not much bubbling in the airlock.

Airlock activity also isn't the be all and end all of measuring activity.

Did you take an OG reading? If so, wait another day and measure it. It should have started its journey down. If it hasn't, maybe it is time to think about other things.

Did you pitch enough yeast? Many people prefer a starter for lagers, or else two packets of dried yeast to get the required amounts of yeast eating away...

Thanks. I did pitch 2 x 11.5gm packages of S-23. Hopefully all will go well.

I only pitched 1 pack :-S

Thinking I will pitch another, or stir it up tonight with a sterilized stirrer.

Visually check your brew for signs of activity if nothing showing in airlock. May not have an airtight seal.

I only pitched 1 pack :-S

Thinking I will pitch another, or stir it up tonight with a sterilized stirrer.

I don't think one pack is the end of the world. I woudl measure it in a few days first.

I'm not the lager expert by any means. I've only done a few, and only one I was happy with...

Gents, if you're going to pitch dry yeast into cold wort (10-12c), it's recommended to pitch sufficient yeast to minimise lag time and to avoid stressing the yeast, which can lead to under attenuation.

It is recommended if pitching cool to pitch two dry yeast packs, also re-hydrating dried yeast is another option.

Some people pitch warm then drop the temperature to fermenting temps, you can get away with pitching one pack, BUT I'd wait for signs of fermentation to begin before dropping the temp. If you do this you can still have unwanted esters in the end product, (I'm lead to believe).

I think it better to pitch sufficient yeast at the correct fermentation temps, personally.

AC

my 2 cents...

Lagers, brewed cold traditionally, require a large starter (3-5 litres) or plenty of dry yeast.

If your fermentor is opaque, just look and see if there is a ring of scum/filth/trub being thrown up above the top of the beer/wort. If so, this is a sign of fermentation. Don't mess with it, just let it go...It's now in the hand od Bacchus :D .

Best of luck.
I'm pitching a culture of Bavarian lager yeast into a Baltic porter this week, and then onto a progression of Maibock, Doppelbock etc.

Beerz
Seth :p

Guys,

they'll be sweet... just be patient. Lager yeasts often show little activity, especially in the early days. Lager yeast are bottom fermenters, so don't have the big heady krausen of an ale. If you keep opening it up & playing with it, you'll end up contaminating it.
I pitched into 2 lagers once with just a 10th of a smack pack each, the day before going overseas for a month. When I got back there was no activity & no drop in SG. Was going to build a starter to throw in & low & behold, the next day they had kicked off before I had the starter ready - Both beers turned out excellent.
Pitching the correct amount is recommended, but the smallest amount of yeast will get there in the end :)

cheers Ross

Pitching the correct amount is recommended, but the smallest amount of yeast will get there in the end :)

Thank god for that!! I think I'll just leave mine with one sachet in it in that case.

Back