Yeast Harvested From An Infected Batch?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bevdawg

Reaction score
Hi all.

OK so recently I bottled a batch of IPA which appeared to have a mild acetobacter infection (I think) on the surface of the fermenting beer in the secondary (was fine in primary)... the day I noticed it I bottled the beer, it's been a week and I tasted one, and it seems OK so far...

Anywway, I kept a big jar of the yeast cake which has been in the fridge since bottling. It's of 1056 and I was hoping to re use this a few times.

My question is, will this infect my next brew with acetobacter (or whatever it was)? I was going to make a starter out of it and see what happens, or is that just daft?

For the sake of the cost of a fresh pack of WY1056, WLP001, or US05, do you really want to take the risk of ruining your next batch?

It's up to you.

I don't have a gambling instinct. You might have, and enjoy living dangerously.

Are you retarded? You believe the yeast is infected but you are going to use it again???

*bangs head against brick wall*

QldKev

My question is, will this infect my next brew with acetobacter (or whatever it was)? I was going to make a starter out of it and see what happens, or is that just daft?
Yes its totally daft, unless you like the acetobacter infection and wish to propagate that into your next brew as well.

If you had the ability to acid-wash the yeast, you might be able to get away with it, else cough up and buy a new pack and keep the infection out of your future brews.

If in doubt throw the yeast out not worth it wyeast or white labs area t a good price at the moment due to the aussie dollar just get a new yeast as you spend a good 5 hours or more brewing you dont want to waste it imho

One more vote for daft/waste of time.

Send me your account details and I'll pop the $7 odd in for you to get a pack of 05.

I wouldn't even keep a rare PC yeast if it had a chance of being horrible, let alone 56/05.

Back