Yeast Durability

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ryanator

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I recently made up a batch of English Ales and sampled the first one tonight. It tasted pretty flat (not entirely flat, but not really fizzy). I primed it with a sufficient amount of dextrose and let it condition in the bottle for two weeks but didn't get much fizz!

Is it possible that yeast can die if left in racking for too long?

I racked this brew for two weeks. I've left other beers in racking for two weeks and never had a problem so I don't know why this one would be any different.

I used Safale S-04 yeast. This is the first time I've used this yeast so I'm wondering if I've done anything wrong.

Any help would be great.

Thanks.

:beer:

It wouldn't die after two weeks. How many g/L of priming sugar did you use, and what temp are you storing the bottles at?

I'd leave it another two weeks before worrying.

Hey Kai,

It was a 19 litre brew and I used 150g of dextrose. The temperature has been on average about 20 degrees Celsius, though has sometimes dropped to around 15 degrees Celsius.

Could be that the priming solution wasn't mixed well and you got an underprimed bottle? This would mean you have a few potential grenades!

As Kai said the yeast should be fine, I would give them another few weeks before panicing (unless you are out if beer :eek:)

She'll be right Ryan....chuck one in the fridge in two weeks time and I bet it'll be better from there on in.....PATIENCE! :D

...also Ryan how did you bulk prime?

Thanks for the replies. Sorry I've taken so long getting back. It's been a long, boozy weekend.

Here's how I bulk primed:
1. Mixed 150g of dextrose with boiling water.
2. Started transfering the brew into the bottling fermenter.
3. Once it got about half full, tipped in the water and dextrose.
4. Gave it a gentle stir.
5. Bottled the brew.

I've been transfering the brew with a hose to prevent splashing. I used to just unscrew the tap and hope it went into the fermenter. I should have lost a lot more beer than I did!

Ryanator

Not really sure here but Safale is a very flocculant yeast so since it is the 1st time you've used it maybe there is alot less yeast in there than you're normally used to so it may take a little longer?

Hoops

Hoops said:
Ryanator

Not really sure here but Safale is a very flocculant yeast so since it is the 1st time you've used it maybe there is alot less yeast in there than you're normally used to so it may take a little longer?

Hoops
[post="75306"][/post]​

Thanks Hoops.

I didn't think of that. It could be possible because it did have some fizz, indicating that some fermentation had taken place. Just as the other guys said, I'll leave it another two weeks and crack one open.

:beer:

Back