Yeast Craziness?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hitman

Reaction score
G'day,

Put down a Coopers Draught yesterday as per normal with all temps and readings where they should be.

Came home today to find top blown off airlock and all water out of it and what appears to be yeast scum/yeast along sides of fermenter on the inside above foam line as well as plastered to inside of lid!

What has happened here? Is this brew ready for the garden?

It is still fermenting furiously and is located in the same spot i have already brewed two previous successful brews.

Cheers,

Hitman

Kit yeast? Sounds like temp is too high or maybe, but not likely, an infection.

What size is the fermenter?

Coopers yeast trying to escape, that's nothing new...

Normally it's the real ale that does it the most, but I suppose any of them could do it.

Provided it isn't smelly funky or looking infected, and the SG is still dropping, it will be fine.

I wouldn't bother topping up the airlock until it calms down a little as it will just shoot the water back out again.

Not a weizen yeast is it? :lol:

They usually go off the charts! Proably just a nice vigorus ferment either way. i wouldn't be concerned unless its started to grow legs.

G'day,

Put down a Coopers Draught yesterday as per normal with all temps and readings where they should be.

Came home today to find top blown off airlock and all water out of it and what appears to be yeast scum/yeast along sides of fermenter on the inside above foam line as well as plastered to inside of lid!

What has happened here? Is this brew ready for the garden?

It is still fermenting furiously and is located in the same spot i have already brewed two previous successful brews.

Cheers,

Hitman

mm, where they should be according to the coopers kit instructions? or according to the wisdom gleaned from this site?(Mercsown, you have a lot to answer for. <_< ....nah, just joking.)

The kit instructions have reccomended temperatures that are....ahem....optomistic. ;)

Appreciate the quick reply, i will bottle as planned and hope for the best.

I have a 30L fermenter and brewing 23L at a time.

Expect another few queries soon!!

Back