Yeast And Colour

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dans6401

Reaction score
Did a search on this and couldn't find anything relevant.
New to brewing so forgive the ignorance. Anyway a mate came over and we made our first home brew, coopers k&K. Next, i started reading this site, and decided to try reculturing the yeast from a coopers (or two :D )
Got my hands on a free stir plate etc....worked a charm. My question is the first brew is a lot lighter in colour, (about a month older) but everything we used was the same. Apologises to all you AG brewers, but both were coopers Aus pale cans and BH2. The only difference was one yeast was from the kit, the other was recultured. Does / Can the yeast effect the colour?
One last ? also re-cultured a bottle of chimay. Boiled a sachet of coopers yeast to kill it and use the nutrients. (think i got that from here too.) Pitched both in the vessel and now it's going crazy. Transfered it from the stir plate into a PET with an OZ top cap, in the process poured myself a little sample. The thing is it has a weird taste / smell. Not vinegary or off, just a strong fruity flavour i guess. Is this normal?

All my re cultured coopers yeast brews are much cloudier than my house yeast, US05. Even after a good gelatine the coopers yeast is always cloudy. Same recipes as well except for the yeast. Personally I'm going off the coopers yeast fad and most likely won't use it again. I'm loving US05.

What temp did you ferment at ?

I used to reculture it too when I did k&k I used to ferment at 22c-24c got the fruity pear banana taste I think

I havent tried it since but if I did, 16c I think would cut those flavours out a bit or a lot.

The coopers pale ale isnt as fruity as the k&k brews I used to knock out.

I used to enjoy the flavour when I used it though & I believe some people have tried it in their wheat beers.

Do you know how old the cans were?
As the can ages the malt extract can darken quite a lot.
This may explain the colour difference, I don't think the yeast would make a difference colour wise.
As for Coopers yeast making a cloudy beer you may need to look for another explaination. My beers done with Coopers are bright as bright. :D

Cheers
Nige

Back