Yeast Alcohol Tolerance

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marlow_coates

Reaction score
Does anyone know the alcohol tolerance of the yeast that comes with the Coopers cans?
(Just says Brewers Yeast on pack)

Also, anyone know the alcohol tolerance of regular Champagne yeast?
And what is the best temp for a champagne yeast?

Cheers

Marlow

Does anyone know the alcohol tolerance of the yeast that comes with the Coopers cans?
(Just says Brewers Yeast on pack)

Also, anyone know the alcohol tolerance of regular Champagne yeast?
And what is the best temp for a champagne yeast?

Cheers

Marlow

Most brewers yeast will take up to 10%
Don't know about the Champagne yeast...not sure why you'd bother to be honest...this is a beer forum ;)

Have a stuck ferment that hasn't shifted with inreased temp or racking.
Added a champagne yeast yesterday to finish off but haven't seen any big results. Just small froth layer on top, but not the level I expected.
Was considering adding the coopers yeast just to help finish.

The Champagne yeast will be doing it's thing then. Watch those numbers drop...and keep on dropping down to so close to 1.000 that it won't matter. Hope you like 'dry' tasting beer. What did it stall at ?

From OG of about 1090 and stuck at 1030.
It's for a saison and was after a dry tasting brew but not overly so.
It's been 4 weeks tomorow.
I figured that long allowing the belgain yeasties to do their thing and produce their flavours was enough, and have read that champagne yeasts are quite neutral so went with what the LHBS recomended.

It's my first belgian and a bit of an experiment as I never really planned it to suit style.
Just going to have to see how it goes :rolleyes:

Ferment temp and brew ingredients ?
How did you get to 1090 with a kit ?

Adding a little Trappist yeast and Belgian Candy Sugar would have seen it heading south in a much better way.

And: Yeah how did you hit those numbers using cans --- 8 litre brew maybe :lol:

Two cans of coopers international pale ale
One can of extra pale liquid malt extract
500g LDME
In 24L came to OG 1074
Added 1kg of sugar after 5 days (sugar was turned to homemade belgian sugar on stove prior to adding - light brown colour)
(estimated that the 1kg of sugar added about 16 points so OG of about 1090)
Used WYEAST belgian saison 3724.

Started at about 26C from memory, then dropped to 20ish (no fermentation fridge), was going slowly so at 5 days when added extra sugar brought temp up to between 26-30C (brew belt) and kept it here for the next three weeks. Bubbling has been visible but very minimal.
Bubbling stopped so checked SG. Stuck at 1030 a couple days ago so racked - no bubbling still.
Got sick of taking more and more beer to check SG so added champagne yeast.
Now has small foam head again and small visible bubbling, but have allowed to drop back down to ambient temp of about 24C.

Was just wondering if this is a good temp for champagne yeast? If it does or doesn't make a decent krausen? And whether it would be worth adding the coopers yeast to bring it down? Or if the champagne will do the trick?

I have read about this yeast getting stuck - also read that with time and temps it will eventually finish and also that others have gotten good attenuation, and that I might expect it to get to 1010. My impatience has gotten the best of me and I do not want to wait another month. <_<

It still has quite a sweet tast to it which I do not want in the final product so hoping this new addition will see it through. :) Like I said, I reckon a lot of those belgian flavours should still be there being the sole yeast from 1090 to 1030.

Screwtop just posted that then read yours.
I didn't want to get another liquid yeast just yet as I have the belgian ardennes in the fridge waiting for the fermenters to free up :D

On a side note I made my first yeast farm (?) from the slurry when racking.
Have 7 x 50ml containers in the fridge about 3/4 full of pure yeast with water on top ;)
Followed the yeast thread here to a dot and worked a charm.

Will have a good number on ardennes brothers next to them in a few months.

Screwtop just posted that then read yours.
I didn't want to get another liquid yeast just yet as I have the belgian ardennes in the fridge waiting for the fermenters to free up :D

On a side note I made my first yeast farm (?) from the slurry when racking.
Have 7 x 50ml containers in the fridge about 3/4 full of pure yeast with water on top ;)
Followed the yeast thread here to a dot and worked a charm.

Will have a good number on ardennes brothers next to them in a few months.

Can't see why it stopped, taking into account the 75% fermentability of the extract then the added sugar I would have expected it to finish low using that yeast. Have used Champers yeast before but it fermented the beer down so low it was totally out of style, to much alcohol warmth and bitterness was too pronounced. Think you need to wait for comments from expereinced Belgian brewers familiar with the yeast and who have brewed Belgians using extract.

Screwy

Back