Yay! Sorted Out My Efficiency Dramas

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MVZOOM

Reaction score
BenHobbs and I wacked a brewday together on Friday.

After my last pils attempt only bringing through around 1032 OG from 5Kg of grain, Ben helped me sort the gaps out on my mill and we got 1053 OG @ 22L from 5kg of grain.

Really stocked, the BoPils is fermenting happily away at around 11deg and all is well. I basically crushed really finely - it seems to have worked.

The speed of the mill is awesome too, I'm getting through around 1kg in about 50sec through it too, so that's a plus.

Also used a refrac for the first time - that's awesome, it really helps you understand where things are at. :party:

So all good, and a healthy ferment - it bodes well!

Cheers - Mike

I have found that my efficiency has been steadily improving. I started at about 60%, and after worrying about it for a while, I decided "Bugger" it, cause the beer was still tasting fantastic. Pitched my latest yesterday (Choc Porter) and measured the efficiency. Came out at a surprising 82%. I haven't conciously been changing anything, just brewing each other week. I just guess my whole process is becoming smoother and that is reflecting in the increased efficiency.

Is this plausible?

Fester.

Fester, it has to have something to do with it. Just started a boil on on another SNPA clone about 10 mins ago - tasted the wort and it's very nice and sweet, so I reckon this one is going to be good too.

It really becomes easier the more you do it!

Cheeers - Mike

I found that a finer crush helped my efficiency enormously, and yet 'they' say you just need to lightly crush the grain...not in my experience!

I found that a finer crush helped my efficiency enormously, and yet 'they' say you just need to lightly crush the grain...not in my experience!

All of my grain comes from the same source. As far as I know he hasn't changed any settings.
I was under the impression that the finer the crush the better the efficiency and the greater the chance of a stuck sparge. There was a trade off between the grade of crush and the stuck sparge.

Its not that I have tried to gain efficiency - it has just happened. Not that I'm bitching mind you! :p

Festa.

I also found another factor to help me understand my efficiency woes.

I'm almost too ashamed to admit it because it was just so simple.

My measuring method was out of whack by about 10-15%. Even though I was getting high SG on my sparges, and consistently low volumes, alarm bells still where not ringing.

Didn't help that my "18.9L" pot from the Warehouse was actually only a 15L pot

Well they say you learn by your mistakes ... just wish I could learn after the first 5 times :blink:

Latest posts

Back