Yakult For Infections

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
let me guess ill be the scapegoat cos im the newbie troublemaker threadstarter!

banned in less than a week!

SWEET!

Ok guys, quick update.

did the AG for the hefe yesterday.

Got it currently in a cube to be transferred to my fermenter this evening. I have 3056 Wyeast ready to be pitched. will pitch mix recirculate a few times thru the tap with some serious aeration in between. I dont have any raspberries so unfortunatly so it will be 2 2L yakults.

Im still having issues with my post boil volume. I think im not collecting enough wort. I dont think it helped that i went to my new 40L kettle with the 3ring rambo burner. looking at the marks i measured on my pot for L vol. I it looks like i had atleast 2L more boil off than what i expected + trub loss was more this time (unsure if wheat protiens take up more room than a reg barley ale).

Ahhhhh the joys of AG! hopefully next brew i can get it down to a T!

*Edited as my typing skills went out the window being distracted at work.

Don't worry. You'll sort out the volume losses on your system. All you need is more practice. Luckily you'll end up with beer with each experiment.

Like to know how this one turns out. :D

The starter i have been building for the Lacto. C smeels quite good. Nothing to make me want to vomit so hopefully its pitchable and i dont waste a few L of quality brew. I have it undertaking a symbiosis starter with a very small amount of US-05 to help it on its way. considering its usually got a very nutral flavour profile it should cause too much harm to the final product once the wyeast 3056 is added.

on a side note the 3056 smells allot like miso paste out of the packet (very salty and soy notes). From the starter i made i reserved some to see if it tasted bad and it was very weizen flavoured. There may be some link b/w miso fermentation and weizen yeast provided by wyeast.

i think it needs some research!

Im still having issues with my post boil volume. I think im not collecting enough wort. I dont think it helped that i went to my new 40L kettle with the 3ring rambo burner. looking at the marks i measured on my pot for L vol. I it looks like i had atleast 2L more boil off than what i expected + trub loss was more this time (unsure if wheat protiens take up more room than a reg barley ale).

I just did an article for my club's newsletter which deals with water budgeting. My analysis of all my batches thus far (150+) has revealed that:
  • Water lost to grain in the mash is 700ml/lb = 1.54l/kg
  • Water lost during the boil is 3.3l/hr indoors on an electric stove and 5.8l/hr outdoors on a propane burner
  • Water lost to trub in the kettle is pretty much always dead on 1l
For example, if I want 42l of finished wort from 10kg of malt and a 90 min boil outdoors on the propane burner, I'll need 42 + (10)(1.54) + (1.5)(5.8) + 1 = 67.1l (67 is close enough). The evaporation numbers may not perfectly match your situation, but the mash retention figure probably will. This should help get you in the ballpark.

Hey Fourstar:
Aspergillus is a fungus, a mould to be exact, not a bacterium. It is in fact in the same genus as the common citrus mold.

MFS.

Hey Fourstar:
Aspergillus is a fungus, a mould to be exact, not a bacterium. It is in fact in the same genus as the common citrus mold.

MFS.

oops, my bad

on the wiki page for miso, it has been known to have Lacto.A in it. This may be even beter to use than yakult.

hmmm.

Latest posts

Back