Yakult For Infections

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fourstar

doG reeB
Reaction score
I have been doing some readings on Sour ales, lambics, Flanders Reds etc.

One thing that jumped out at me with my morning Yakult at work is ITS LOADED with...

Lactobacillus!!

Is there any issue with using the l. casei strain? Have I jumped into the deep end too quickly? Seems like it would be a hell of allot better than using yogurt in brews to get some sourness as its loaded with it!

I also saw on the Yakult website if it is stored above 4 deg for an extended time it will become sour! So I guess its a step in the right direction.

In a 23L batch its merely 0.2% of total Fluid for 1 bottle so the side effects of the milk etc I think would be almost untraceable.

Any ideas? Anyone tested this theory?

I haven't done it, but neonmeate has used yoghurt in a sour wit beer he made. I drank a bottle of it and vowed to make some for this summer. Very fresh, with the sourness working really well with the typical witbier flavours for my tastes. Anyway, of course, I haven't got round to doing it yet. Long 'to brew' list. Read all about it by clicking here.

And I'm sure you are jumping in too soon, but if you feel like it, what the hell. :super:

Come to think of it, haven't seen neonmeate around for a while. Could it...might it...no, nothing in beer can make you sick...can it? ;)

Yeah well thats what I thinking, not that I have any evidence but I think its got to have ALLOT more lacto than the equivalent yogurt count would. Not to mention yogurt generally has those B and C cultures in it also attributing to other strange flavours. <_<

When I make my HefeWeizen ill rack off 4L or so.
- 2 2L milk bottles.
- 1 with raspberries and yakult.
- 1 with straight out yakult.

I'll see how things go then!

:beerbang:

Sounds a good plan. Report back on how it goes if you can.

OMG,

Well i think the yakult sounds ALLOT better tahn the yogurt option.

If you were unaware, Lactobacillus acidophilus (the A bacteria in yogurt).

L. acidophilus is part of the normal vaginal flora.[6] The acid produced by L. acidophilus in the vagina helps to control the growth of the fungus Candida albicans, helping to prevent vaginal yeast infections. The same beneficial effect has been observed in cases of oral or gastrointestinal Candidiasis infections. Certain spermicides and contraceptive creams can kill L. acidophilus in the vagina, clearing the path to possible yeast infections.

Taken straight from wikipedia.... need i say more!

Besides, 'beer-o-minge' or 'minge-brau' :beerbang:

Are you still liking that Wit you had made with yogurt?

Interesting!

Still feel fine. I have nothing against vaginas personally (at least at present). I am not very squeamish and have nothing against the connection at all. Are you saying you're not going to eat yoghurt now because you've found this out? :wacko:

Still feel fine. I have nothing against vaginas personally (at least at present). I am not very squeamish and have nothing against the connection at all. Are you saying you're not going to eat yoghurt now because you've found this out?

Yeah i think ill still eat yogurt, drink yogurt beer and eat minge for that matter! :rolleyes:

Be a good side by side todo the Yogurt VS the Yakult single L. Casei strain and taste the difference.

or as you pointed out in that thread.. do a sour mash!

Besides, 'beer-o-minge' or 'minge-brau' :beerbang:

Google "Toi Sennhauser" or "Pussy Beer" if you'd like to read about an experiement with "natural yeast cultures".

Fourstar, are you planning to take a swab from your fave girl and culture that for your beer?
I found that my sour mash and the home-made lacto culture had a familiar aroma. ;)

Prob not the right strain, but your experiment with Yakult will be interesting. I hope it produces the right flavours for you. Please report here.

From Stuster:
I have nothing against vaginas personally (at least at present).
Me neither, currently. More's the pity, but that's a place we ain't going. :lol:

Again, I dunno if a hefeweizen is the right beer to mix with L. casei (note the capital "L"...pedantic Biology graduate). Tell us how you go with it, coz that's a beer I'd be happy to make and report on, if it turns out OK. I might even swap you a bottle of one of my Berliners for one of yours, if you get keen.

Beerz
Seth out :p

Sounds like a good plan (or many good ones in fact). Just need to brew all of them (for science of course :icon_cheers: ).

Maybe i should build up the yakult in a starter as it obviously sours naturally then add to the 2 odd L to give it a kickstart.

ill reserve 1 of the 6 and happily send you one if its not sink worthy.

i might leave 1 out tonight to get warm and give her a taste in the morning! hopefully sour! (not my favourite girl) :rolleyes:

:lol: :lol: :lol:
You guys have just lightened my ENTIRE WEEK up with this one. Thank god for beer drinkers to keep it real.

I'm sure there's a thread floating round here somewhere linking to an article about a New York concept artist who, amongst other 'wrong' things with food, kicked off a fermentation using her own 'special' yeast.

I'm sure there's a thread floating round here somewhere linking to an article about a New York concept artist who, amongst other 'wrong' things with food, kicked off a fermentation using her own 'special' yeast.

yeah i saw that somewhere... dont know how much truth is in it thou!

LOL

ya gotta love her label! B) Up there with Franko's best! :super:

DRUNK-160-2.jpg

oh no...sits in corner and waits for the fun police to remove thread. :unsure:

Latest posts

Back