XXXX Bitter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know about XXXX but CUB lagers use the Fosters B strain which is fairly similar to Wyeast Danish. A certain member here who works at CUB but will remain nameless reveals that to use this yeast you start at around 13 then let it rise to around 19 over a few days, then lager for 10 days. On the odd occasion that I do an Aussie it turns out very much like the pub version, but I need to use 30% sugar by gravity.

It is worth pointing out that un-quenched male human child often states that his suggestions for how a homebrewer might replicate his employer's products are designed for a homebrew scale and may not necessarily reflect the actual processes or exacty ingredients/ratios used in that den of iniquity.

Bribie G said:
I don't know about XXXX but CUB lagers use the Fosters B strain which is fairly similar to Wyeast Danish. A certain member here who works at CUB but will remain nameless reveals that to use this yeast you start at around 13 then let it rise to around 19 over a few days, then lager for 10 days. On the odd occasion that I do an Aussie it turns out very much like the pub version, but I need to use 30% sugar by gravity.
I use that yeast almost exclusively. It is very forgiving in temperature range, doesn't throw huge amounts of diacetyl if fermented too cold or huge amounts of esters if fermented too warm. I'm not saying wild swings but a couple or three degrees in each direction from optimum which is about 10°C

Steve

I find that BB malt, a touch of BB caramalt, 15% sugaz, PoR at 60min to 20 IBUs and 34/70 at 14C makes an almost indistinguisable clone of Carlton Draught.

Tweak this recipe and you have virtually every Aussie mega on the shelves.

Use Cluster and you have Castlemaine, CPA yeast and you have CPA.

And this is why Aussie beer is shit - the only variety is in the labeling.

Nick JD said:
I find that BB malt, a touch of BB caramalt, 15% sugaz, PoR at 60min to 20 IBUs and 34/70 at 14C makes an almost indistinguisable clone of Carlton Draught.

Tweak this recipe and you have virtually every Aussie mega on the shelves.

Use Cluster and you have Castlemaine, CPA yeast and you have CPA.

And this is why Aussie beer is shit - the only variety is in the labeling.
Absolutely agree. Except I use 2042 yeast. Use BB galaxy for your 'Pure Blonde' style, leave out the sugar and sub in Hersbruker to about 15 ibu's

Aussie beer might be shit but for all non brewing mates that judge your brewing skills by comparing your beer with their favourite swill - it buys a LOT of brownie points. Like all the work that skilled tradesmen done on buliding my bar for next to nix.

Yep, there's a lot to said for being able to successfully brew Aussie beer.

-=Steve=-

scottc1178 said:
@tidalpete, I assume you mean me. I didn't delete my comment, I think the mods did, and I now see why.
It was just a joke, didn't realise anyone would actually get upset about it...
There a few precious ones on here , they know who they are
Nev

labels said:
Absolutely agree. Except I use 2042 yeast. Use BB galaxy for your 'Pure Blonde' style, leave out the sugar and sub in Hersbruker to about 15 ibu's

Aussie beer might be shit but for all non brewing mates that judge your brewing skills by comparing your beer with their favourite swill - it buys a LOT of brownie points. Like all the work that skilled tradesmen done on buliding my bar for next to nix.

Yep, there's a lot to said for being able to successfully brew Aussie beer.

-=Steve=-
I like to make an Aussie Lager, but use Wey Pils instead of BB and NZ Hallertau instead of PoR (same IBUs). Megaswillers love the stuff.

What megaswillers don't like is: late hops, IBUs above 25, more than 20 EBC, caramel/toffee maltiness, esters and above all ... cloudiness. You can make a fantastic lager that ticks these boxes by avoiding aussie malts (left to "shine" they can be quite dull IMO) and PoR.

Latest posts

Back