Xtract Pilsner Question/problem

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nui

Reaction score
Hi.

My Xtract pilsner has completed primary fermentation. I used a 3kg Tin from the Country Brewer, which contained everything required.
SG has been on 1010 for the last week, but it is still VERY cloudy. Is this normal for a pilser?
Its been in the fermentor for 3 weeks now.

pilsner.jpg

Above is a picture of a sample sitting in the hydro tube, with a black brush handle in the background pressed up against the tube. As you can see, you can't even see the black through the tube.

The beer has got a real strong taste, very bitter. Is this normal for a pilsner ?
The guy at the shop suggesed that I try it, I have never really drunk pilsners before, so its all new for me.

Let me knw what you think ive done wrong,

:blink:

Cheers

Matt
:beer:

It doesn't seem as though you have done anything wrong, Matt. The sample just looks very cloudy with yeast. Samples like that do taste strange, possibly there is some hop sediment in there too. What yeast did you use? At what temp?

Cloudy is not really normal for a pilsner. They are the original clear lager in fact. Time will cure the problem. You could do a few different things. You could bottle it now and just let them sit until it's clear. You could wait and week and then bottle. Or you could rack to a secondary, just transfer to another fermenter, and give it a few more weeks to settle. All will work out in the end.

It should be fine. :D

Hey Stuster.

Thanks for your reply.

I used a Saflager yeast pitched at 22deg.
Fermentation temps sat at 16-17 deg for the 3 weeks its been in the fermentor.

I think I will just bottle it and leave it settle. Too much risk of infecting it if I transfer it.

Probably a bit warm, but should be drinkable. :super:

Bottling it will be fine. Like to know how it turns out.

Try using finings on, it wait 24 hours and bottle.

Next time you do a batch, if possible, get the temp down, 10-12 would be ideal. The Xtract Pilsner has a lager yeast included, and to get real lager characteristics, it needs fermenting at the right temp.

ok. Thats another genuine reason to get a freezer and convert it into a dedicated brew machine! :D

Hi Nui,

I have made the xtract pilsner before from what i can remember it cleared ok. Mine was very bitter as well I didnt really like the beer myself, I find the ESB 3kg pilsner is much nicer if your after something similar next time.

I would also try some finnings and rack it to secondary, will make a difference.

Take it easy.

Hey Nui

All i can offer you as advise would be to let the beer bottle condition (probably 2 weeks min) then throw them in the fridge - the temps in the fridge tend to keep the yeastys on the bottom of the bottle and the beer stays quite clear!

Thanks guys.

I bottled on Monday night.

Still cloudy.

Will let you know how it turns out.

Thanks for all the advice.

Nui

Back