Wyeast Private Collection- Summer 2010

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are there pre-orders or any requirement to do so?

mmm the Berliner-weisse is tempting. May be time to do that no-boil Berlinerwiess ;P

Doc

mmm the Berliner-weisse is tempting. May be time to do that no-boil Berlinerwiess ;P

Doc

Doc,

I've been wanting to do one of these for years, now must be the time. Pity it isn't summer but who cares Qld is as warm in winter as Berlin most of summer.

HD

Doc,

I've been wanting to do one of these for years, now must be the time. Pity it isn't summer but who cares Qld is as warm in winter as Berlin most of summer.

HD

Maturation time is 3 to 6 months for this yeast, so perfect timing for the summer :)

Cheers Ross

FWIW, I used the berliner weisse yeast last time it came out as a VSS. Ended up a nice beer, but not what I would call a berliner weisse. Very lemony-zesty flavours, along with the bret, and it took 6 months to finish. Took 4 days before primary started (1030 OG), fermented down to 1010 in around 8 days. Racked to secondary, and it formed a pellicle over the top, and stayed that way for the next 6 months, slowly dropping the SG. Finished at 1.000, so it is over 4%. Noticeable bret character, little to no lacto (and IMO lacto is the hallmark of a berliner).
It makes a very drinkable, low-level funky beer, I will use it again, but next time I go to make a berliner, I will pitch a lacto packet for a few days before I pitch a german ale yeast. Again, not unhappy with the beer it produced, I am not convinced it is a berliner strain.
All the best
Trent

Rather than start a new thread - A quick heads up that the Summer collection are now in stock.

cheers Ross

Back