Wyeast London Esb

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gibbocore

Reaction score
Hi Y'all,

I've used london ESB and it was bubbling away nicely with a strong krausen until over the last 2 days the foam has subsided and FG has remained steady at 1020 for 48 hours ish.

The vitals;

Mashed at 64 degrees, finished after 75 mins at 63 degrees.
OG 1050
has been fermenting at 18 degrees except the latest reading shows about 16 degrees.

I'm wondering if its slowed due to the temp drop or if this yeast generally slows down towards the end? Should i bring it inside and sit it somewhere warm, as the wyeast website reccomends a diacetyl rest for this yeast as well.

Cheers in advance.

I'm interested to read peoples thoughts on this, as I've used the same yeast twice now and both times have been unable to get it below 1020.

The second time I had an OG of 1062, so it did a fair bit of work - but the first time it was at similar levels to yours.

This yeast is a low attenuator, but I would expect it to go lower than 1.020. I have had some experience with the fermentation stopping at 1.020 in the past when the temp dropped too low overnight. Seems to be the magic SG in this situation. Are you fermenting at ambient temperatures or in an insulated temp-controlled environment?

ambient.

Seems the last couple of nights have been a bit to cold.

The American ale next to it finished off the wort down to 1010 in 3 days at 16-18 degrees.

Hi Y'all,

I've used london ESB and it was bubbling away nicely with a strong krausen until over the last 2 days the foam has subsided and FG has remained steady at 1020 for 48 hours ish.

The vitals;

OG 1050
has been fermenting at 18 degrees except the latest reading shows about 16 degrees.

I'm wondering if its slowed due to the temp drop or if this yeast generally slows down towards the end? Should i bring it inside and sit it somewhere warm, as the wyeast website reccomends a diacetyl rest for this yeast as well.

Cheers in advance.

I always ferment with this yeast at around 19 to 21C - 16 is too cold for this strain IMO. If you can, raise the temp to 21C and give the fermenter a decent swirl/rock - this strain is also extremely flocculant.

At those mash temps, you should expect an FG of around 1015 at least.

Sounds like the overnight temps may be your downfall. Definitely try stirring up the yeast, but in my experience this doesn't tend to work. I have never found a reliable way to get the last 5 or so points out of the ferment. Usually once its decided to stop, its stopped for good.

I've heard that this yeast flocculates so solidly that it stops fermenting.
Dunnow if that's true, but rousing the yeast might help.

I've heard that this yeast flocculates so solidly that it stops fermenting.
Dunnow if that's true, but rousing the yeast might help.

Completely true!!

This yeast notoriously drops out of suspension before FG is reached.
Constant rousing of the yeast is often required, but as stated it is a low attenuator.

Makes a nice bright clear beer though.

Cheers,
BB

Hey Gibbocore

Bump the temp up to around 20 degrees, "carefully" tilt your fermenter on its axis a bit and gently swirl the beer around to re-suspend the yeast a little. Do this once or twice daily for around 3 days.

You'll knock a couple of points of the FG.

Don't be too upset if it finishes a point or two higher than what you're used to. The finished beer will be worth the result. :)

Warren -

The vitals;

OG 1050

Another vital is how much crystal or roasted malt you put in. If its a substantial portion of the grist then you will end up with a higher than expected FG. Even such I would expect it to get to 1.015 (from 1.050) with a good dose of crystal in the grist.

Warm it up to 20+C and give it a really solid rousing by swirling the fermenter for a good minute or two, and then do it again the next day, and the next.

If that doesn't fix it, pitch some rehydrated Safale S-04 to finish off the last few points.

I have used the ESB yeast a number of times and it does require rousing to get it to finish, and it doesn't like the cold much so keep it above 18C.

Great yeast for a really chewy bitter ESB, or a full tasting Mild, and also good for getting a beer from mash to mouth in very short time.

Cheers,
PJO

Hey Gibbocore

Bump the temp up to around 20 degrees, "carefully" tilt your fermenter on its axis a bit and gently swirl the beer around to re-suspend the yeast a little. Do this once or twice daily for around 3 days.

You'll knock a couple of points of the FG.

Don't be too upset if it finishes a point or two higher than what you're used to. The finished beer will be worth the result. :)

Warren -

cheers mate, will do.

Another vital is how much crystal or roasted malt you put in. If its a substantial portion of the grist then you will end up with a higher than expected FG. Even such I would expect it to get to 1.015 (from 1.050) with a good dose of crystal in the grist.

Warm it up to 20+C and give it a really solid rousing by swirling the fermenter for a good minute or two, and then do it again the next day, and the next.

If that doesn't fix it, pitch some rehydrated Safale S-04 to finish off the last few points.

I have used the ESB yeast a number of times and it does require rousing to get it to finish, and it doesn't like the cold much so keep it above 18C.

Great yeast for a really chewy bitter ESB, or a full tasting Mild, and also good for getting a beer from mash to mouth in very short time.

Cheers,
PJO

actually this is one beer that i've not used any kilned grains in (first for me).

actually this is one beer that i've not used any kilned grains in (first for me).

In that case you should be getting down to 1.012-13. I reckon it was the cold snap...

Cheers,
PJO

Grain to brain and now mash to mouth. Some top quotes there!

I have a pack of this in the fridge that i am itching to give a go. Having used 1187 successfully it looks as tho this beast needs the same subtle encouragement to keep working.

Must be a public servant :ph34r:

I love this yeast, but it is one that takes a little more care, but is well worth it IMHO.
You need to pitch a good size starter or it will pete out. You should also watch that you don't leave it on the yeast cake for too long as autolysis is a chance. It's a low attenuator, but I've pitch onto a yeast cake with this puppy and a planned English mild (3.5%) ended up fermenting out to about 5% (not too bad all the same).
So my tip is to make sure you pitch a good vol.
The shake thing and temp up to 20 that others have suggested is prob your best bet. If you want the marmalade this yeast can give aim for 20 from the start if you can.
I love this yeast

cheers blokes.

I've got the temp up to 19-20 not and gave it a swirl before and its already edging on 1018, seems the goods. The cold temps could also have been knocking a point or two off my hydro.

I didn't use a starter for this batch. Will defs be saving the cake though cause its the maltiest beer i've brewed and it smells/tastes fantastic.

I recently made an ESB with this yeast, grain bill was -
85% MO
8.57 med crystal
1% choc
4.5% raw sugar
mashed 66-65
with wy 1968 it dropped from 1045 --> 1008 in about 3 days, suprised the hell out of me! I was thinking around 1012-1014. anyway, beer is tasting great so all good :D

Grain to brain and now mash to mouth. Some top quotes there!

I have a pack of this in the fridge that i am itching to give a go. Having used 1187 successfully it looks as tho this beast needs the same subtle encouragement to keep working.

Must be a public servant :ph34r:

Dude, the recipe is your TTLPA clone. Smells and tastes absoloutly fantastic.

Hi All, gravity is down to 1015. I take it i wont get it down much further?

Cheers for the advice, seemed to have hit the proverbial nail and all that...

For anyone thinking about using this yeast, don't let this thread discourage, its made one cracker of a beer.

Latest posts

Back