Wyeast For Kits?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reon

Reaction score
Hi,

1.7kg Morgans Blue Mountain Lager
1kg LDME
300gm Dextrose
250gm carrahell
30gm Saaz plug@25min
30gm Saaz plug@10min

Was wondering if I should wait and buy a wyeast 2278 czech pilsner or use what I have, S189. Is it worth buying a $12 yeast for a kit.

Pointers on yeast and recipe much appreciated.

Reon

I don't think there's anything wrong with using better ingredients to make a kit great.

Do you have temperature control? If you don't and you can't maintain the brew at appropriate lager temps then the yeast will be wasted although if you're going to use saflager then you probably already have this bit under control.

Also consider culturing the yeast to increase its usage. I understand you can do this before pitching or afterwards. Before will mean you'll have to wait longer before starting this brew. There are good tips on yeast culturing in the wiki section.

Hmm.. maybe for a lager, I wouldn't bother with a smackie of yeast for a kit, but certainly if it is a beer where yeast is a defining quality, then definately!
Belgian and British Ale yeasts add a huge dimension to kits, extract or AG recipes.
I also am under the impression that when pitching lager smack packs, Mr Malty, says pitch four or five packs!

Started brewing Feb 04, ventured into liquid yeast some 5 brews later while still doing kits and partials mainly from Grumpy's & Goliath Brewing, never used a dried yeast again after that, part of the great leap forward as far as I was concerned and never looked back.....Go for it!

Cheers,
BB

I also am under the impression that when pitching lager smack packs, Mr Malty, says pitch four or five packs!

Is that propogator or activator packs because 5 packs of activator ($12-15 each) for 23 litres sounds ridiculous

Thanks guys I think will give them a go. At that price it looks like I will have start making starters and culturing the little buggers :D .

Latest posts

Back