receipe kit- clumpy wort

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mongey

Reaction score
so yesterday I put down a kit. its the most involed kit I have done so far for a abbey red ale . havent used the malts and other stuff before

kit was

Ingredients
  • 1 x ESB 1.7kg Draught
  • 1 x No22 Amber Blend
  • 1 x Dextrose 1kg
  • 1 x Dried Light Malt 1kg
  • 1 x 12g Syrian Goldings finishing hop
  • 1 x 12g Saaz finishing hop
  • 1 x Amber Grain Enhancer 200g
  • 1 x Dark Candi Sugar 500g
  • 1 x Safbrew T-58 yeast
and instucitons on the website were

Bring 2L of water to the boil, add the grain infusion and steep with the heat off for 20 minutes. Strain into your fermenter. Add ESB beer pack, all sugars and dry malts to above and stir vigorously to dissolve. Top up to 22 Litres with cold water

so I did this. only thing I did a little different to tthe instructions was I dissovled the candi sugar in a litre of boiling water seperate as I had used it before in a FWK and thats what I did .

so I steeped the grains in 2 litres ,poured it in, added the 1 liter of disolved candi sugar then put in all the other suagrs and malts as instructed . somthing got very clumpy as soon as I added it . I think it was the dried light malt . I stirred it for half an hour and cut down the clump amount but it was still too clumpy, so I added 10 liters of cold water as I figured more water volume might helpbreak it down and another 15 mis of stirring I managed to get it down to only a few minimal clumps . figured bugger it and then topped it up to 22 and added hops and yeast

is it normal for this to happen and need 45mins to break down or are the instuctions jacked, or am I the problem ?

Ldme is the issue.

Its a prick of an item to work with.

I find sprinkling a little bit at a time in whilst stirring to be the easiest way to add it.

Don't worry to much the remaining clumps will break up while it ferments.

Cheers.

Bomber Watson said:
Ldme is the issue.

Its a prick of an item to work with.

I find sprinkling a little bit at a time in whilst stirring to be the easiest way to add it.

Don't worry to much the remaining clumps will break up while it ferments.

Cheers.
thanks man. good news

I should add the #22 amber blend is probably mostly ldme as well, so sprinkle and stir with stuff like that to. Hell I even sprinkle and stir with dex and the like.

Takes about 2 minutes to stir in not 45 haha.

I have always found that the best way is to put your dry malt in a jug and then pour boiling water into the dry malt, stirring constantly as you pour
Usually 1.5L water will dissolve 1kg malt easily
It will always clump if you add dry malt to the water

Thanks All

so I'm guessing there is no difference mixing ingredients seperatly while strring then combing in the fermenter rather than doing all at once in the fermenter and mixing ?

Put the dry malt into the fermenter first, pour in a just boiled kettle of water and "swirl/rock" the fermenter. The malt will not clump this way. Then add your other ingredients. Do not initially stir the malt, will always clump.
Cheers

Good advice grott , always works
Another good way is to use a kitchen whisk , forget who suggested this to me as I had similar problems early on with dry malt

Cheers Stu

Back