Wyeast Activator Pack

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snow

Beer me up, Scotty!
Reaction score
Hi folks,

I haven't smacked a Wyeast pack for a few years, but when I used to get them, they usually took at least 3 days to swell up. Well, I got an Activator pack of Belgian Wit and smacked it last night, in preparation for doing a brew on Thursday. Woke up this morning to find it has fully swelled up ! :eek: My question is, can I just leave it until Thursday arvo, or should I transfer the yeast to a starter flask with an airlock? I am a bit worried about CO2 poisoning of the yeast. I just popped it in the fridge this morning to slow it down in desperation.

Any advice?

Cheers - Snow

Make a starter for sure, 100g LDME in a litre of water and by the time thursday comes you'll have a nice population of yeasties hangin to get the job done

If you pitch without a starter on Thurs it will have some lag time. Pitch with a starter and she should kick off quite quickly with a lil extra yeast to assist in a clean ferment.

I did this on Saturday with 1007. I snaked it on Monday night ready for Saturday and within 3 hours it was fully swelled. So I just made a 2 litre starter and put it on the stir plate and by Thursday it was finished so I put it in the fridge. Then on Saturday I poured off the clear beer on top and added some cooled wort from the kettle and within a couple of hours and once the wort was cooled it was almost spewing out the top of the flask.
Either way, even if u just wanted to keep the pack cool until brewday it would be fine.

Steve

As the yeast pack already has enough cells, according to Wyeast, I think I'll just take it out of the fridge on brew morning, then add some chilled wort to it during the brewday, which will give it a few hours in wort while the brew boils, chills and aerates. Should be enough time to rouse the yeast I reckon.

Cheers - Snow

Back