Wyeast 3191 Berliner Weisse

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jord

Reaction score
Hi Brewers,

Got my first sour beer in a cube waiting on the fermenter, a Berliner Weisse for summer. Can anyone who has used this yeast offer any advice on approximate fermentation time. If its likely to be a long haul, I can borrow a glass carboy off my bro in law, but he's had it in his shed for too long and it's in a sorry state! :eek: It's just not worth the effort of cleaning it if fermentation will be quick enough to negate the risk of oxidation over an extended ferment in plastic! From there, I was hoping to use a similar routine to my regular beers... ferment out in primary, crash chill, bulk prime and bottle condition in some champers bottles I have acquired for the purpose.

Any thoughts on all this would be much appreciated.

Cheers, Jord

They covered this pretty well on the Jamil show Berliner weisse episode, I'd plaguerise their work but honestly I can't remember exactly what they said. I'd recommend listening to it though.

I have been looking into one of them as well, have a packet sitting in the fridge. According to Wyeast a slow start to fermentation is expected as there is a relatively low amount of yeast to give the bacteria a head start to acid production. If I remember correctly it takes a while to ferment out completely, Wyeast also recommends at least 3-6 month of aging for the full flavour characteristics. I recall Schultheiss recalling a batch of their Berliner Weisse once as the bacteria were wrongly mixed or something and therefore causing bottle bombs.
Anyway, there are a few threads around, also on the american forums, which are quite informative. Will be very interested how you go with it. What recipe did you use?

Florian

I left mine for several months as it did seem to get a bit more sour as it went. It never got really sour though, and from reading on other forums that seems to be a common experience with this yeast. I'm fairly sure the yeast in there is the German ale yeast and it works at pretty cool temps.

I think that plastic should be fine for 3-4 months. I did mine in plastic and it seems to be fine. But if you have access to a glass carboy, I'd get that. A soak in a hot napisan solution should sort that out pretty easily. Either way, I'd leave it much longer than a standard ferment to ensure it's completely done before you bottle. Did you go for a classic BW recipe with raw wheat?

Cheers Fents. Gave that podcast a go, but they spent the first twenty minutes talking shit, then discussed souring techniques, read the recipe from the book and advised strong bottles. So still no real idea what to expect from the fermentation. @ Florian, it is Jamils recipe, except the yeast and bacteria are pre mixed in the smack pack, so hopefully no surprises there :blink: Good onya Stuster, thats what I needed to know. The carboy is soaking as we speak, so can leave it for as long as I can spare the room to get the most character from the bacteria, and to ensure FG. No raw wheat though, didn't research it too thoroughly to be honest, just going with JZ's recipe. Will definately bear it in mind for next time though...
Thanks for your help blokes
Jord

you can use normal flour instead of raw wheat.

It is after all, raw wheat.

What actually happens when you split a packet of this yeast? Can you build up cell cultures for both the yeast and the bacteria? Or does just the yeast cell count grow, and the amount of bacteria stays the same?

Florian, the Berliner Weisse you had at the swap you had me really interested. Could you send me the details of the extended mash and no-boil method you used? Might make a good stable mate to the Gose on tap.

drtomc said:
Almost on topic:

What temperature should this ferment at? The Wyeast site says 20-22. What have people used?

T.
I've read on the Wyeast site that the temp should be 20 - 22c. I've also read on other forums that the temp range is 13 - 20c.
Has there been a change in the yeast or can it go down that cool?
Has anyone done a cool ferment and if so, how long did it take to sour?
Cheers. :beerbang:

Back