Wyeast 3068 - Weihenstephan, Any Good?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Holy crap! I just tasted and smelt my first Weizenbock today from the fermenter before kegging it, which I used this yeast for the first time too, and it was bloody amazing :icon_drool2:.
I made a 1.5L starter from the smack pack and fermented at 17c all the way, and I don't think I could have asked for a better balance of esters and phenolics. Can't wait to try it from the glass in a few weeks.

I'm re-brewing it again in two weeks time, but next weekend I am doing a Hefe which will be cultured up from a slant, so we'll see how that one goes.

I know this is an old thread but as good a place as any. I Have read many post on reusing yeasts and other advice on washing to reuse your yeast.

My initial plan was to wash a wyeast 3068 after it has finished fermenting. However a quick google on washing wyeast 3068 shows quite a few posts that this may not be a great idea for this strain. (Including some in this thread)

Wondering if anyone can advice what is the best way I can either split or reuse this yeast? Should I consider splitting the smack pack into 2 - 3 small vials and using those for starters? If so do you smack it first or just harvest the yeast to vials? Or should I try top harvest? Or will in fact washing be fine?

I have the yeast ready in my fridge to put down after my current brew finishes in 6 or 7 days so any advice appreciated so whichever way I go I have a few tucked away to use again.

Its a big time party animal top cropper so thats going to be the easiest way I think. Splitting the smack pack is going to be a kinda back up insurance incase you get an infection or starter infection. Washing is also an option but I think top cropping is an easier way and you're getting the most active and purest yeast from the brew.

Yep I do both, smack, let swell, then split into into two test tubes. Use the first, top crop it a couple of times and that goes into another test tube. All labelled with dates, if its a split or crop, etc...

carniebrew said:
Yep I do both, smack, let swell, then split into into two test tubes. Use the first, top crop it a couple of times and that goes into another test tube. All labelled with dates, if its a split or crop, etc...
Cheers guys - Carniebrew re the top crops, do you limit yourself to 1 or 2 generations with this method?

Or do you find by continually top cropping you don't have the issues with yeast degrading and losing a lot of that great banana / clove finish and can just keep on cropping and using?

Lastly any time constraints on how long you have been able to store either top cropped or split yeast? 6 - 12 months ok with this strain?

I love wheats in summer so if I can keep from year to year will be perfect for me.

I haven't been doing it long enough to answer most of that yet! Less than a year for me, and I haven't used a 2nd gen top crop as yet.

No worries, really appreciate your advice. When you do get to that stage maybe try remember this thread and post us an update.

Now off to the neighbour who is a chemist in a hospital to hit him up for some spare 40 or 50ml vials :)

I got a truckload of 50ml ones from mad about science online. In fact anyone in Melbourne who wants any, I bought a bulk box of like 100 or something, and I only need about 20.

The only hassle about them is the pointed bottom, but I've made a holder for them in a block of wood with a step drill bit and some nails for supports.

Happy to mail 'em too if anyone wants to pay postage but they won't be as good value of course.

I *love* this yeast. It's just so damn good, with a great flavor profile. I use it for my dunkelweissen recipe all the time

bundy said:
Cheers guys - Carniebrew re the top crops, do you limit yourself to 1 or 2 generations with this method?
Used up to 5 or 6 generations before switching to another yeast and no problems. Usually have a list of beers to make and get two cubes out of each batch and the yeast has no problems firing up after some down time. If its over a week or two I make a starter. Big commercial breweries have been using the top crop method for years and continue to do so.

Back