WY1272, POR, pils and some munich for Aussie Ale - tasting a little st

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buckerooni

Reaction score
Hi All,

Never used 1272 before but I've tasted it 2 days into the ferment and it smells very yeasty but tastes ever so slightly like errrr...kinda like over ripe melon or something but I find the taste very hard to explain, maybe it's just really bland tasting wort mixed with the yeast. It's not sour, it's not bitter but it's something I've never tasted before.

It tasted good off the boil so maybe it's just in a difficult period right now :/

Made a session beer for a party coming up, goes as follows:

batch size - 23L

Pilsner Malt

kg

Munich 1

kg

CaraMunich 1

kg

Wheat Malt

kg

POR 50g at 30mins for 30 IBU

1 stepped to 2L starter (from wort) of 1272 - at around 17c

Fermenting at 17c in cube, krausen looks white and fluffy with some browny trubby looking top in some areas - looks normal.

Does this recipe sound like it should be tasting OK? Or is the yeast selection a little off?

I wanted almost a gateway beer between a draught and a pale ale with a bit more bitterness and a yeast with a little bit of citrus.

it may calm down after a few days but it's a taste I wasn't expecting.

Two days? Quick, panic! Throw the lot in the bin.

Or

Wait a bit. If you ever have kids, wait till they're at least 20 before you ask them why they haven't won a nobel prize yet.

Flavours (and smells) will change dramatically throughout the duration of the ferment. Early tastings should be for educational purposes only, not and indication of the final product.

ha! yeah, realised I've never tasted a ferment that early on...hey, it was 1 in the morning!

Back