Wy 2206 sluggish start?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

V-Dawg

Reaction score
Hi all
This might have been answered elsewhere but...
I pitched a 25l batch with slurry of a stepped starter last sunday. Starter was smack pack in 2 l for 2 days, 24hours chill and decant; times 2. Pitched at 11C, fermenting at 9.
After 5 days gravity is down from 46 to 30ish.

This is my first lager pretty much ever but the start feels very slow and I am wondering whether I have aerated well enough.

What do you guys think?
Cheers
V

Weird you say that, I made a 4L starter of 2206, 2L twice stepped, pitched slurry 30 hours ago and have seen no action. Had it at 10.5, turned it up to 11.5 just to see if I could encourage it to get going, we'll see what happens

Mine developed krausen after 48 hours. Ah well this way primary will take 2-3 weeks...

Mine is now creeping down at 1.024. Have increased temp to 10 C last night But also considering to pitch an active bohemian lager yeast on top to finish it off.
Thoughts?
How is your's going 'snips?

I've had a 2206 starter going for 4 days now and it's only just starting to take off now!

Its a very slow starter, the smack pack was only 2 months old and after 24 hrs of being popped it'd only swelled a very small amount

It's taken off now so hopefully I can pitch it tomorrow!

Yeah 2206 can be quite a slow starter (and a slow finisher too). its a bit of a plodder (technical yeast term there).

The gravity drop that you have had is completely normal, everything is in slow motion with a lager.

What are you brewing? 2206 is a great yeast when you get it right i reckon!

I'm brewing a dopplebock, it's the first time I've used this yeast, I didn't know anything about it when I bought it, since then everyone who has used it says how slow it can be

I am brewing a schwarzbier which has been at 1020 now for a week even after I raised temp to 12C.
Any hope it will finish off to ~1010? Main mash rest was at 67C for 45 minutes. I am currently planning to pitch an active 0.5L starter with SafLager on Sun to get FG down.

V-Dawg said:
I am brewing a schwarzbier which has been at 1020 now for a week even after I raised temp to 12C.
Any hope it will finish off to ~1010? Main mash rest was at 67C for 45 minutes. I am currently planning to pitch an active 0.5L starter with SafLager on Sun to get FG down.
Give it another week it seems to be progressing fine. Anywhere between 7 and 20 days is fine with lager yeasts. Wlp830 being the fastest and wy2206 one of the slower ones .

On an off topic note I got a brown ale that never went below 1.020. Turns out my thermometer was off ( a bit of the red stuff stuck at the top) and I mashed at 69-70C instead of 66 :(. I hope is not that for you.

I put down a dunkel over the weekend, pitched yeast at 12 degrees, It took until today to hit the low krausen. Was getting worried!

I would have made a starter but I was an impromptu brew day.

Back