High FG on my Roggenbier

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alex.Tas

Beer Goat
Reaction score
I made a Roggen beer a few weeks ago and its been in the FV for over two weeks. Should be finished by now right? - Maybe.
I'll start at the beginning - but i wont bore you with how much of a pain in the arse this was to make. just turned to glue.. but thats another story.

recipe is as follows for a 24 l batch. BIAB electric crown urn
3kg of rye malt
1.75kg JW light munich
1kg of JW pils
0.35 kg crystal (used as substitute for caramunich)
0.15 kg of carafa special 1
11g of warrior at 60
koppafloc at 10 min
10g of hallertaur in the cube.

mash:
15.8L of water at 44 degrees for 10 min.
added 18L of boiling water (or close to) to bring the water to 68 super quick
keep there for 60 min
then raise to mashout of 78 over 17 min

cubed it with the hallertau. accidentally set the temp in the ferm fridge to 20 degrees once it had it at garage temp. added it to the FV, gave it a good smash about with a sterilised whisk and then pitched yeast. pitched around 240b cells of 3068 into a batch size of 24L - i decanted the liquid from the starter and just pitched the yeast slurry.

so it fermented for maybe five days at around 19 degrees, then i realised and dropped it down to 17. checked SG a week ago and it was 1.020. figured it had a while to go. bumped up the temp a bit. no change in SG. gave it a slight swirl. no change.gave it a stir (got right down into the yeast cake). no change. Did a forced ferm test on it. stayed at 1.020.

so it seems that 1.020 will be as far as i get with this one. it still seems kinda thick, viscous to a certain degree.
I'm pretty confident that bottling wont be dangerous, but its a little frustrating that it finished so high.

Is the mash steps where i've gone wrong? i know 68 is kinda high, but i wouldn;t have thought it would finish at 1.020.

Cheers for any input.

Ah okay. At least I'm not alone. Seems like I just made a mid strength roggenbier then.. Is the silky/viscous common in the final carbed product? I'm gonna give it decent carbonation

Can't comment for roggenbier but I've got a 1010 ale that feels too 'thick' for my liking because I undercarbed it. I bottle - think it was ~1.9-2

My experience of beer with high proportions of rye (drinking not brewing) is that the mouthfeel you experience is part and parcel.
For the gluey mash problem - take a look at beta glucan resting.

manticle said:
For the gluey mash problem - take a look at beta glucan resting.
Yeah i read up on it so i did the 44 degree mash step at the beginning. Did i do this correctly?

Latest posts

Back