WTF did I just brew !?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimRobbo

Reaction score
Hey gang,

Getting stuck into my latest brew and it's fairly awesome, thinking I'll enter it in the local brew comp next month, the only problem being I don't know what it is or what to call it!

Thoughts appreciated:

Mashed this at 68 degrees, landed at 43 IBU, US-05 yeast and primed it with brown sugar.

4.5 kg Pale Malt

360 g Chocolate Malt

50 g Munich

30 g Black Malt

210 g Flaked Barley

Cascade 25g @ 45 mins
25g @ 15
20g @ 5

Some kind of trans-atlantic, frankenstein porter maybe?

Cheers in advance :beerbang: , Jim
photo.JPG

A black IPA would be my best guess. What is the ABV%?

Too much roast, not enough hops for bipa. Call it a US porter. Sierra nevada make a nice one.

Thanks antiphile, hadn't thought of that one. The ABV is 5.5%, I didn't realise that 40 or so IBU's was enough for a IPA ?

manticle said:
Too much roast, not enough hops for bipa. Call it a US porter. Sierra nevada make a nice one.
Ta manticle, what does the flaked barley do for it in terms of a definition. E.g without it, would you still call it a porter ?

Not used flaked barley but definitely not necessary to make it a porter.

I would presume it's used to add protein (body and head). Why are you using it?

manticle said:
Not used flaked barley but definitely not necessary to make it a porter.

I would presume it's used to add protein (body and head). Why are you using it?

Yeah I've found it definitely helps with overall body and building a dense creamy head ( like mine ). I figured it might be an essential element in brewing a porter or stout but it seems like its the roasted grains that determine that.

Did you mean 50g Munich or 500g Munich?

If 50g, I highly doubt it'll add anything at all to the brew especially with all that black going on etc. 500gm is a different story.

slcmorro said:
Did you mean 50g Munich or 500g Munich?

If 50g, I highly doubt it'll add anything at all to the brew especially with all that black going on etc. 500gm is a different story.
Nope just the 50g, throwing in the leftovers.